Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches - discussion

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
micorleone

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by micorleone »

Hi,

I've seen many things here about LibreDrive, but I have only one important question: does it speed up the ripping? I have almost 1.000 DVDs I want to rip. About a third is already done and put on a QNAP NAS for viewing with Kodi. But there is still much to do. I've build a new desktop a few weeks ago: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 32 GB (2x16GB), AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU and Corsair M510 480GB NVMe SSD. I recovered my BR-drive, an LG BH16NS40 from my older pc.
During my search about ripping dvd's and Riplock, I founded LibreDrive. So I think in some way they are linked to each other. Although my LG drive is a 16X drive (obviously only at the very end of a spinning disc), the best I get is 4X. At least I hoped to reach 8X. So it is not that bad as I heard from some people on the web, saying their BR drive stuck at 2X, but I suspect to have a firmware limitation at some point. So the only reason that I am interested in LibreDrive is if it is able to unlock the Riplock flag in the firmware to speed up the ripping (if there is one). Because I have no BR (and certainly not UHD, hardly available in Belgium) discs, so the advantages of LibreDrive for those discs aren't for me. Are they? Convince me if I'm wrong.

For the record: in the mk-firmware-pack-20190319.zip download, the folder BH16NS40 is empty, but in the BH16NS40-N150 folder there is a file. Can I use that one? I heard that the firmware is quite different.

Thanks for a quick answer.

Dirk Peeters
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

LibreDrive is a 'work in progress' & overriding FW enforced speed control is planned... 'Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled' currently reported for all drives I've seen, so far. When implemented, this status will change.

There are 2 hardware versions of BH16NS40. NS50 (UHD friendly) & NS40 (NOT UHD capable). Different hardware, so DO NOT try to 'convert' NS40>NS50... BAD juju.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Will installing an MK firmware to a uhd-friendly drive keep this drive uhd-friendly in other programs, programs that do not do libre drive? I have the ASUS BW-16D1HT with 3.02. Although makemkv supports libre with it already, I would like to fix the sleep bug by installing MK 3.10.
The original post says this topic will be updated with flash instructions. Is it as easy as running ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe and pointing to the firmware?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Krawk wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:08 pm
Will installing an MK firmware to a uhd-friendly drive keep this drive uhd-friendly in other programs, programs that do not do libre drive? I have the ASUS BW-16D1HT with 3.02. Although makemkv supports libre with it already, I would like to fix the sleep bug by installing MK 3.10.
The original post says this topic will be updated with flash instructions. Is it as easy as running ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe and pointing to the firmware?
3.10 does not fix the sleep bug
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

But MK 3.10 is a friendly firmware.
SirFledermaus

Post by SirFledermaus »

Hi,

I read a lot but couldn't find any answer to my question: Is there a firmware out there for the ASUS BC-12D2HT which supports LibreDrive and fixes the sleep-bug? Thanks in advance!
Funkycow

Post by Funkycow »

SirFledermaus wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 pm
Hi,

I read a lot but couldn't find any answer to my question: Is there a firmware out there for the ASUS BC-12D2HT which supports LibreDrive and fixes the sleep-bug? Thanks in advance!
First page, first post pal in firmware pack Mike added
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

SirFledermaus wrote:
Hi,

Before you go and jump into that you need to ensure the drive is compatible. Too many people have already screwed themselves over for not properly reading or paying attention to the requirements for flashing these drives. Don't be one of them.

READ this first:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2HT#p74990

And the links provided in that thread to further inform yourself and make an informed decision on flashing that drive.
SirFledermaus

Post by SirFledermaus »

st4evr wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 pm
SirFledermaus wrote:
Hi,

Before you go and jump into that you need to ensure the drive is compatible. Too many people have already screwed themselves over for not properly reading or paying attention to the requirements for flashing these drives. Don't be one of them.

READ this first:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2HT#p74990

And the links provided in that thread to further inform yourself and make an informed decision on flashing that drive.
Been there, done that. Thanks for the warnings anyway. I could have mentioned that I'm already using 3.01MK on that drive which works indeed quite good but has the sleep bug...
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SirFledermaus wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Been there, done that. Thanks for the warnings anyway. I could have mentioned that I'm already using 3.01MK on that drive which works indeed quite good but has the sleep bug...
The only fw without sleep bug is NS60 fw and on your Asus drive and that may make you unable to burn disks but that can be fixed by flashing back to your current fw.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Flyinace2000

Post by Flyinace2000 »

Does this apply to my drive?
Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk5
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS30
Revision: 1.02
Firmware date: 2114-03-26 11:41
Bus encryption flags: 16
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
rui-no-onna

Post by rui-no-onna »

Drive too old, unfortunately. I don't think it's even capable of reading UHD or BDXL discs. I have the same one installed on a couple of my desktops.
Flyinace2000

Post by Flyinace2000 »

rui-no-onna wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:57 pm
Drive too old, unfortunately. I don't think it's even capable of reading UHD or BDXL discs. I have the same one installed on a couple of my desktops.
Figured, its 4+ years old. Just thought there might be some benifit to the firmware based on the message in MakeMKV.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I’ve got plenty of fresh ASUS Libre Drives alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Devore

Post by Devore »

(LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=61645DFEFB5D))

Is there some kind of utility we can run to provide information to allow creation of a patch for a specific drive?