Fatal error occured...

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
aloha

Fatal error occured...

Post by aloha »

Hello:

Recently I received a BU40N and a Vantec enclosure. The BU40N is factory set at 1.03. Details of the BU40N
BU40N-Details.jpg
BU40N-Details.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 8396 times
other system details below.

Problem: When I attempt to do a non-decrypt (IE: Decrypt video files not checked) backup of any Blu-ray disk with the BU40N I always receive the following error:

"Fatal error occured. Program will now exit."

If I do a decrypted backup (IE: Decrypt video files box checked) then MakeMKV processes the request without any error(s). Also, if I use any other of my optical drives to do the backup of a Blu-ray disk (decrypt or non-decrypt) MakeMKV processes the respective backup without error(s) so it's definitely not the disk causing the problem. Also, the fatal occurs no matter what disk I try, yet in my other optical drives there is no error of any sort.

Question: Is there something wrong with the BU40N drive? (Doubt it, because if yes, then it would not backup media at all).

Theory: The factory 1.03 firmware some how prevents MakeMKV from doing a non-decrypt backup.

If theory correct, would flashing the firmware to the appropriate MK firmware resolve the problem?

I have attached Zip files from my 2 different units of the debug logs of my attempts to do the backups from the drives in hopes someone might be able to me a clue as to what is possible wrong.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your valuable time in advance.

Regards,
A

Other system details for reference:

DT Unit: (Normal Desktop Unit)
M/B: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A88-M (AM3R2)
CPU: AMD FX-6100 6 Core @ 3.30GHz
RAM: 16GB
HD : 2.0T (1.8T Free)
OD1: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 (pre-2015, MT1939)
OD2: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 (Actually HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40-NS50 cross flashed)

MV Unit: (Dedicated MakeMKV Unit)
M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 (LGA1155)
CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 @ 2.90GHz
RAM: 12GB
HD : 2.0T (1.8T Free)
OD1: HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS60 (Actually HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40-NS50 cross flashed)
Attachments
Fatal_Error_MV.zip
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
Fatal_Error_DT.zip
(5.61 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
aloha

Re: Fatal error occured...

Post by aloha »

Hello:

So replying to my own post...

Turns out my theory was correct! Based on my results, the factory 1.03 firmware has something in it that prevents MakeMKV from being able to make a non-decrypted backup of a Blu-ray disk.

However, once I re-flashed the firmware of the BU40N 1.03 to 1.03MK via the latest "SDFtool Flasher" from MartyMcNuts
(viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896) (GREAT tool BTW!, THANK YOU! Mr. Marty!), I was then able to make ANY kind of backup I desired. Further, 4K disk(s) posed no problem(s) as well. I took it one step further and re-flashed the BU40N once again to the BU40N 1.0DE variant as I believe this is a more compatible firmware with other software(s) (no proof of this belief).

The purpose of getting this drive was two fold; A) in case if any of my other drives could not work with a given disk. B) it is way slimmer and takes up less room then the 5.25 in an external case.

Hope this helps anyone if they are having basically the same issue as I was.

Regards,
A
MartyMcNuts

Re: Fatal error occured...

Post by MartyMcNuts »

aloha wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:02 pm
Hello:

So replying to my own post...

Turns out my theory was correct! Based on my results, the factory 1.03 firmware has something in it that prevents MakeMKV from being able to make a non-decrypted backup of a Blu-ray disk.

However, once I re-flashed the firmware of the BU40N 1.03 to 1.03MK via the latest "SDFtool Flasher" from MartyMcNuts
(viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896) (GREAT tool BTW!, THANK YOU! Mr. Marty!), I was then able to make ANY kind of backup I desired. Further, 4K disk(s) posed no problem(s) as well. I took it one step further and re-flashed the BU40N once again to the BU40N 1.0DE variant as I believe this is a more compatible firmware with other software(s) (no proof of this belief).

The purpose of getting this drive was two fold; A) in case if any of my other drives could not work with a given disk. B) it is way slimmer and takes up less room then the 5.25 in an external case.

Hope this helps anyone if they are having basically the same issue as I was.

Regards,
A
You're welcome! and yes, the 1.00 DE firmware is more compatible with other software.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com