Best firmware for Asus BW-16D1HT

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Pliny_The_Elder

Best firmware for Asus BW-16D1HT

Post by Pliny_The_Elder »

Hi. Previously had bought a second hand LG WH16NS40 (which was MT1939 so an old one) I am returning that one and managed to get hold of an Asus BW-16D1HT (which is an MT1959!) it has FW 3.00 on it, and in makemkv it reports libredrive compatible and yes to everything. Is there any benefit to me changing the firmware? I have been able to rip a uhd disc I own as is and from reading the forum it looks like my drive is capable of accepting the microcode for Libredrive now. I have noticed the speed is not as fast as I’d hoped, but that may be the USB sata adaptor at issue. I know not all adaptors allow flashing, does this also impact libredrive drive microcode injection? Any help would be greatly received!
Pliny_The_Elder

Re: Best firmware for Asus BW-16D1HT

I have now added the speed control string in the registry and read speed is now as hoped! So I’m guessing I have no need to change firmware as speed is no longer limited and it reads UHD, but if anyone knows a reason to switch I’d be very interested.
duss909

Post by duss909 »

~"Benefits of changing firmware on perfectly functioning unit"

Me and some others with this same model are experiencing recurrent issues with multi-layer discs, and well, perhaps not all examples are decaying units with lazy laser but instead something else acting up. I would personally, if I were you, not do anything as long as things are working. Even if copying were unimaginably slow but actually performing the task, I would happily take it.
Pliny_The_Elder

Thanks for the info. With the 3.0 firmware it is ripping up to 12x on Blu-ray, and rips uhd with no problem. So I believe libredrive is working correctly (once I’d worked out I needed to set speed control!)

I will leave it as is! Interesting to know there could be issues down the line. The shop I bought it from give 24 months warranty at least!

The uhd part is great as I can stream the rip perfectly on my raspberry pi 4 based server to my firetv 4k stick. I’m just hopeful there’ll be an arm port so I can connect the drive directly to my server!