Flashing back to original firmware from MK version

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Pliny_The_Elder

Flashing back to original firmware from MK version

Post by Pliny_The_Elder »

I’m sure many will question why I did this! But I flashed my Asus 16D1HT from 3.00 stock to 3.10MK (I was hoping it would allow me to rip a UHD disc that was failing half way through - of course it didn’t!)

I used MartyMcNuts excellent SDF Tool Flasher app, prior to upgrading firmware I dumped the existing firmware producing a file 2048KB, so I thought I had what I needed to go back. I flashed to 3.10MK from the custom firmware pack, and that worked fine.

Once I’d tested and found it didn’t fix what I’d wanted I thought I’d be able to use the dumped firmware to restore the drive back to 3.00 but it opens FW dump and then errors without flashing. Where did I go wrong with dumping the firmware (or in how I flashed it) and is there any way for me to get the drive back to the original 3.00 firmware?

Thank you in advance!!
Coopervid

Re: Flashing back to original firmware from MK version

Post by Coopervid »

Why do you want to go back to 3.00???

3.10 is the fastest firmware for that drive and you can even reduce the rip speed in the registry if you want to rip slower, e.g. when a lot of read errors occur.

If you still want to go backwards, I could send you 3.02 DE (Downgrade enabled) or 3.03 MK which are the oldest and only version that can be flashed with the flashers.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Yes there is a way but it's really a waste of time if you really want email me for the 3.00 file I have it.
3.00 3.01 3.02 3.10mk does not make a difference your drive is bad if its failing halfway through makemkv 1.15.3 helps greatly with this so the newest version is the thing to try if your not on it already if you are then it's just time for a better drive like the BU40N stay away from the desktop lg and asus drives.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
morbius

Post by morbius »

your drive is bad if its failing halfway through makemkv 1.15.3 helps greatly with this so the newest version is the thing to try if your not on it already if you are then it's just time for a better drive
as I posted recently elsewhere on the forum, I have a reproducible issue with Superman - The Movie UHD where 1.15.x can barely even open the disc, never mind decrypt and rip it on my Asus drive. Dropping down to 1.14.5 immediately allows the disc to be decrypted and ripped without fuss. I've switched back and forth between makemkv versions a couple of times on this to check. The OP may have a bad drive, but also he may have a bad version of makemkv for the disc concerned.
Pliny_The_Elder

Post by Pliny_The_Elder »

Thanks for the advice I’d found 3.00 was ripping faster for me, but I think it’s confusion in makemkv as it’s not adding a registry entry for the reflashed drive so I will try reinstalling to see if that fixes that issue. If 3.10MK is best firmware to stay on then I will take that advice! It’s only one uhd disc that won’t rip, the for at I did ripped fine, so hoping it’s just a defective disc. All other Blu-rays I’ve done have been fine.

I may try switching to an older version. Of makemkv. The read errors appear around 30GB, which I think must be at a layer change.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

The best remedy is to clean the disc with liquid soap and warm water. Afterwards clean again with a microfiber cloth as used for cleaning glasses.
3.10 MK is the best / fastest version. I flashed both my drives to it. It's only slower when read errors occur since it tries to go fast again after retries while older versions remain at the slower speed. So might be faster with those in the end. Therefore clean - clean and clean.