LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
dcoke22

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by dcoke22 »

Ezatoka is reporting that his ASUS drive is no longer showing it supports all regions on DVD.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27399

I wonder if this is a side effect of these changes?
bobb09

Post by bobb09 »

Hi, I just installed a new Pioneer BDR-S12UHT and tried to backup the 4k Lord of the Rings 9-disc Trilogy. However, Makemkv invariably comes up with the attached - "Libredrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted. Backup failed."
I'd be grateful for any advice as all the documentation states drive is compatible.
Many thanks,
Bob
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (206.05 KiB) Viewed 118068 times
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

bobb09 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:20 am
Hi, I just installed a new Pioneer BDR-S12UHT and tried to backup the 4k Lord of the Rings 9-disc Trilogy. However, Makemkv invariably comes up with the attached - "Libredrive compatible drive is required to open this disc - video can't be decrypted. Backup failed."
I'd be grateful for any advice as all the documentation states drive is compatible.
Many thanks,
Bob

Capture2.JPG
1.01 firmware isn't supported yet. Should be in the next day or 2.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
bitspain1980

Post by bitspain1980 »

Hello, first of all thank you for the work you do for the community.
I wanted to ask you if the external ASUS recorder that I have will be compatible with UHD disks?
Or else I can forget about it.

Thank you very much in advance!

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

bitspain1980 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:03 pm
I wanted to ask you if the external ASUS recorder that I have will be compatible with UHD disks?

no it wont do UHD if it does not already see UHD discs it not like the LGs were there are friendly and official pioneer drive will only do UHD if they are official.
mike admin wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:08 pm

There are no Pioneer friendly drives, they are either blu-ray or UHD official. All of them will be supported.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
andrewtjb

Post by andrewtjb »

Doesn't seem to work for me with my BDR-209M says might be supported in future.
Screenshot 2022-02-13 120652.png
Screenshot 2022-02-13 120652.png (11.6 KiB) Viewed 118038 times
bitspain1980

Post by bitspain1980 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:08 pm
bitspain1980 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:03 pm

no it wont do UHD if it does not already see UHD discs it not like the LGs were there are friendly and official pioneer drive will only do UHD if they are official.
mike admin wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:08 pm

There are no Pioneer friendly drives, they are either blu-ray or UHD official. All of them will be supported.

Understood! I found too much information about it, As it is an ASUS brand recorder I thought I could, but the recorder is really a pioneer... thanks for the info!
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

bitspain1980 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 pm
Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:08 pm
Understood! I found too much information about it, As it is an ASUS brand recorder I thought I could, but the recorder is really a pioneer... thanks for the info!
While the answer to your question is still no, generally this is an open question.
RS8800 is a first hardware supporting UHD media.

Are there any drives built on 8800+ hardware that do not read UHD? Yes, at least we know one model - Asus BW16D1H-E115 that uses 8F00 hardware, although no Pioneer drive on 8F0x hardware is an UHD drive.

Can we cross-flash the drives on the same hardware platform - technically absolutely yes, but we don't have a production-ready tool for that yet.

So, if we find a Pioneer drive that can technically read UHD, but this functionality is disabled in firmware, would it read UHD if cross flashed (line NS40->NS60 for LG)? We don't know yet.

Generally, I'm very curious if anyone knows about Pioneer drives that can read BD-XL but can't read UHD media. If they do exist, that would sound like a new businesses plan for Billy and Marty :)

p.s. Your Asus is RS8601, so - no, as far as I know.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

andrewtjb wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 pm
I don't have 1.54 firmware. If you updated the FW, please share the link for an update. If you just got the drive like this, I would like to dump its firmware. Please contact me for details. Thanks!
andrewtjb

Post by andrewtjb »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:17 pm
andrewtjb wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 pm
I don't have 1.54 firmware. If you updated the FW, please share the link for an update. If you just got the drive like this, I would like to dump its firmware. Please contact me for details. Thanks!
It's been updated here's the link https://pioneer.jp/cgi-bin/device/downl ... W154EU.exe

It's listed as 209EBK not sure what the difference is.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:14 pm

Are there any drives built on 8800+ hardware that do not read UHD? Yes, at least we know one model - Asus BW16D1H-E115 that uses 8F00 hardware, although no Pioneer drive on 8F0x hardware is an UHD drive.

Can we cross-flash the drives on the same hardware platform - technically absolutely yes, but we don't have a production-ready tool for that yet.
Hmm I can't find that model number at all the stupid -U one keeps showing up
I don't really see it working out as a business plan with all the flashing and testing to do because pioneers are already generally more expensive it would probably put it up to the cost of an UHD official one. But it could be good for the diyer to save a bit.
I would be willing to try if we can find one email me a link if you know of one.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Blackened2687

Post by Blackened2687 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:09 pm
I would be willing to try if we can find one email me a link if you know of one.
Well, if you really want to try, I can provide you such a tool right now. The crossflash on BDR-207 and newer drives was not yet tested (well, technically, it was, but only with a BDR-207 -> BDR-PR1M crossflash, which was a failure - the drive stuck in boot mode with new kernel). I'm now looking for a brave person with a BDR-208 or a newer drive who could test the crossflash for me.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Blackened2687 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:13 pm
The crossflash on BDR-207 and newer drives was not yet tested (well, technically, it was, but only with a BDR-207 -> BDR-PR1M crossflash, which was a failure - the drive stuck in boot mode with new kernel).
Wrong approach - we should never touch a stock kernel but instead patch the main image ID, so it could be accepted by an existing kernel, and then fix image crc. A bit messy, but inherently safe.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

andrewtjb wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:45 pm
It's been updated here's the link https://pioneer.jp/cgi-bin/device/downl ... W154EU.exe
OMFG. They do allow you to download old firmware versions, as long as you can construct the file name, which is not that hard to guess knowing the latest updater name and the target version.
If you have extra time, please do download. We have to scrap it before they remove old files...
andrewtjb

Post by andrewtjb »

mike admin wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:49 pm
andrewtjb wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:45 pm
OMFG. They do allow you to download old firmware versions, as long as you can construct the file name, which is not that hard to guess knowing the latest updater name and the target version.
If you have extra time, please do download. We have to scrap it before they remove old files...
Yeah you can grab older firmware that way but It's seems to only let you go so far back before it 404's.

You can't downgrade either as it just tells you your firmware is newer.