LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
dcoke22

Re: LibreDrive for Pioneer drives

Post by dcoke22 »

Not everyone that comes here after updating their firmware only to find out that they're stuck with a drive that won't work for UHD ripping anymore is gracious about it. Some people seem to relish yelling into the void. So while it is not MakeMKV's problem when someone does something foolish with firmware, we'll still suffer the wrath from the consequences.

Whatever the current status is, Mike has been pretty tight lipped about it on the forum, which is fine. Even if he has 'restarted' after the latest firmware update, that doesn't mean the previous work was nearly complete. It also doesn't mean that previous work was wasted. It is possible the eventual solution allows for all Pioneer firmware to work with MakeMKV.

Until then we're going to have to wait patiently.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MrPenguin wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:30 pm
Err, is this replying to my comment? Because I would consider the notion that "Pioneer will continue to update their firmware for as long as they still support those products" to be a reasonable and obvious observation rather than just a "theory" :|. And since Pioneer is also obviously hell-bent on breaking LibreDrive now then I don't see why they would stop once LibreDrive v2 is eventually released either.
That wasn't the part I was questioning as a theory. What I was saying is that if Mike chooses to just release something that works for the december 2022 firmware, it may only help a few people because people seem to have this crazy ass tendency to just update firmware and THEN check if it was a bad thing to do.
MrPenguin wrote:
And no, I don't expect everyone to stop upgrading their firmware to the "latest and (not so) greatest" version, but to be blunt, I don't really see how that's MakeMKV's problem. LibreDrive works for firmware up to a certain point (currently those released prior to December 2022), and MakeMKV is graciously working to support later versions, but wouldn't it make more sense to release an updated interim LibreDrive version that at least works for firmware up to September 2023, rather than "start[ing] over again" and releasing nothing?
You're correct, of course, that it's not MakeMKV's problem. I don't know Mike's rational for not releasing yet. I can only surmise it wasn't finished yet anyway and as such there wasn't anything ready to release.
MrPenguin wrote:
I for one would appreciate a LibreDrive release containing all that apparently now discarded work :(. Would this prevent LibreDrive's ongoing development somehow?
Again I don't know anything about this from Mike's perspective, but I have a hard time believing it would be completely "discarded work". I would imagine it's just another layer to work through on these newer firmware, but I'm speaking out of my ass here cause I have no idea what's involved in what Mike does with these things.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:33 pm
What I was saying is that if Mike chooses to just release something that works for the december 2022 firmware, it may only help a few people because people seem to have this crazy ass tendency to just update firmware and THEN check if it was a bad thing to do.
But it would at least help a few more people - including those resellers whose existing stockpiles of UHD-capable drives may soon be running low :wink:.

However, I really don't see how LibreDrive can ever hope to support all drives for so long as Pioneer continues to release new models and support existing ones.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Sure but we don't know what state the effort was in. If it was a situation where it was going to be several more months anyway, then shifting to supporting more recent firmware in addition probably makes sense. But these are details we mere mortals have no idea about.

The big lesson to get across to people is STOP UPDATING FIRMWARE. :D
zaqqaz6917

Post by zaqqaz6917 »

Even tho there may be a pause with current Pioneer drives with incompatible Uhd firmware, there are LG drives still available that can be modified to work with Uhd and get the job done, even if the LG are not 100% as good as pioneer, they are more than good enough. Makemkv works perfect with supported LG drives and these drives are easily available at retail outlets.
If one is hell bent on getting Pioneer, the forum sellers are a trusted and excellent source.
It is a credit to Mike to work on trying to get makemkv compatible with these latter fw pioneers and is taking a lot of personal time and effort to benefit a relatively smaller percentage of users with the problematic fw.
Just my 2 cents, not meant to offend anybody.
Cheers
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Just got this drive:

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-TD05
Revision: 2.00
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2012-08-10
Bus encryption flags: 1B

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: Pioneer RS8211
Firmware version: ID72
spl147

Post by spl147 »

does anyone have v.1.02 firmware for this drive?

label says BDR-TD05FAD
darbman1

Post by darbman1 »

Hi all,
I have this drive PIONEER BDR-XD08UMB-S
and LibreDrive is enabled and Unpatched.
it has firmware 1.0
I can't not even read a 4K disc because I have an I7 intel 13th gen processor.
If I update the firmware from here will I be able to read the disc and then rip it?
thanks
darbman
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

darbman1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:01 pm
Hi all,
it has firmware 1.0
If I update the firmware from here will I be able to read the disc and then rip it?
thanks
darbman
If libredrive is enabled for that drive, you should already be able to rip it in MakeMKV. Your CPU model is irrelevant. DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

darbman1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:01 pm
Hi all,
it has firmware 1.0
thanks
darbman
Not sure why you think your CPU has anything to do with you being able to read the disc, but that is not the root of whatever issue you are having. As Marty mentions, if MakeMKV reports it as LibreDrive enabled' then you should be good and doing anything to the firmware will likely just ensure that you aren't ever good again.
Describe the hardware you have, and the specific issues you are seeing in more detail and folks might be able to make suggestions.
TheRiceKing

Post by TheRiceKing »

Where can download the firmware? There's no link provided on the main page post.
kevin040474

Post by kevin040474 »

Just to let people know that the Pioneer BD-RW BDR-XS07U FW Revision 1.03 Will Rip Regular Blu-Ray and DVD disc Just not 4K UHD Disc
Just at Slower speeds up to 2.0 8 mbps. The drive will not rip 4K UHD disc due to LibreDrive not enabled

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Product: BD-RW BDR-XS07U
Revision: 1.03
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2023-01-06
Bus encryption flags: 13
MicAel1

Post by MicAel1 »

Bought an external Verbatim BDXL driver this weekend. According to this thread I though it would work.
Unfortunately it doesn't recognize UHD disks. (It just shows "No disc").

The details:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr1
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD03
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: BADL********
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8511
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US03
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
Anything I'm doing wrong?
I'm running the latest MakeMKV version on Fedora 38. The console prints an "openssl test 0050 failed" error message but I ripped movies using my internal drive before.

Best,
Michael
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MicAel1 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:00 pm
Bought an external Verbatim BDXL driver this weekend. According to this thread I though it would work.
Unfortunately it doesn't recognize UHD disks. (It just shows "No disc").

The details:

Code: Select all

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr1
Product: BD-RW BDR-UD03
Revision: 1.14
Serial number: BADL********
Firmware date: 2020-06-15
Highest AACS version: 81

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: RS8511
Firmware name: PIONEER BDR-US03
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.14
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted
Anything I'm doing wrong?
I'm running the latest MakeMKV version on Fedora 38. The console prints an "openssl test 0050 failed" error message but I ripped movies using my internal drive before.

Best,
Michael
That's not a UHD drive it's a ud03 you wanted a ud04 but email me I have a flasher for it see below
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

TheRiceKing wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:03 pm
Where can download the firmware? There's no link provided on the main page post.
Pioneer drives generally don't require different firmware.