Fix For Sleep Bug [UHD Blu-ray Discs Only]

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
MKV Maker

Fix For Sleep Bug [UHD Blu-ray Discs Only]

Post by MKV Maker »

I have got two BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 drives running firmware version 1.05 from years ago [Mike has not updated the firmware thread since July 2020]. I am using MakeMKV version 1.17.4 on Mac OS version 13.6 release candidate. As all may know it contains a nasty ugly attrocious bug that makes the drive inoperable after some minutes when a UHD disc is inserted. It was never an issue to copy a UHD disc via MakeMKV. Today I am trying to copy the thirty disc Game Of Thrones complete collection which are all UHD discs except three of the bonus discs. Both drives encounter the bug when copying title three of disc one of series one. I cannot make the drive finish copying this title; it does that thing caused by the bug.

Has anyone got a fix for the bug in an updated firmware for these drives? If there is absolutely no fix then is there another solution? I am utterly infuriated with this nonsense!!!
Coopervid

Re: Fix For Sleep Bug [UHD Blu-ray Discs Only]

Post by Coopervid »

Just flash it to BH16NS60 1.02. The sleep big will be gone. Don't use "enc" when flashing since your drive has been flashed before.
MKV Maker

Post by MKV Maker »

Is there a tool for Mac OS that will do this? If so where do I procure that ad a copy of that specific firmware? Will there be less benefit to a lower version 1.02 versus 1.05? If I cannot do this on Mac OS then I am without a way for back then I had a Windows virtual machine. MakeMKV just failed to copy nine titles. It copied 14.09 GB of that title then stopped. I really hope I can downgrade via a tool for Mac OS.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

I think you misunderstand the sleep bug:
Sleep Bug:

All UHD Friendly drives have the sleep bug, this is when a UHD disk is left idle in the drive for 2 minutes. Once the drive goes to sleep, the UHD Friendly drive will no longer be able to read the disk without opening and closing the disk tray and will make horrible seeking noises until this is done.
so if a rip successfully begins, but then fails, it's likely something else.

Most of the answers you seek can be found in the 1st post of:

Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023