Looking for advice. Is it helpful to have diverse drive models?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
TomB19

Looking for advice. Is it helpful to have diverse drive models?

Post by TomB19 »

I have a pair of identical LG WH16NS40 drives. They work well with LibreDrive v1.02.

Oddly, the second drive always worked better than the first drive until I cleaned the laser lens in each drive. Now they both work equally well.

Still, there is the odd disk I cannot read.

Would it be helpful to have a different model drive as an option for disks that do not read in these drives? I understand there is only one drive manufacturer and the optics are probably all common so perhaps it would not be helpful?
MartyMcNuts

Re: Looking for advice. Is it helpful to have diverse drive models?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TomB19 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:44 pm
I have a pair of identical LG WH16NS40 drives. They work well with LibreDrive v1.02.

Oddly, the second drive always worked better than the first drive until I cleaned the laser lens in each drive. Now they both work equally well.

Still, there is the odd disk I cannot read.

Would it be helpful to have a different model drive as an option for disks that do not read in these drives? I understand there is only one drive manufacturer and the optics are probably all common so perhaps it would not be helpful?
There is more than one drive manufacturer and yes it is helpful to have different models/brands. I suggest you add a Pioneer drive to your collection. You can get one from a seller here in your region.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

As I understand it, the ASUS drives are rebranded LG drives.

The LG BU40N is different hardware than the 'standard' LG/ASUS desktop drive. And as MartyMcNuts mentioned, Pioneer's hardware is unique to Pioneer. Both are well regarded.

I have 3 different optical drives, all different, and I find the diversity of hardware does produce different results. With troublesome discs, usually at least one of the drives will work.
TomB19

Post by TomB19 »

I appreciate the help, gentlemen.