Dell DW316 questions

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
sizzleweet

Dell DW316 questions

Post by sizzleweet »

Hey all,

First off, sorry if this isn't the right place for this. Please let me know if it needs to be moved and I'll take care of it.

I'm pretty new to make mkv. I have an LG BP60NB10 that I've flashed and that is working great.

I got a Dell DW316 for free from a friend and would like to use it as a secondary ripping drive. I tried out a DVD in it and it got around 2x speed. That doesn't seem right. Is there anything I can do to speed it up? I know that's the whole point of libredrive, but I wasn't sure if that pertained to DVD drives like this one or not.

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Dell DW316 questions

Post by Woodstock »

The Dell is a rather old drive, and it may have limitations on read speeds. A lot of older drives limit rip speeds for "noise", even if they will ACTUALLY read faster if unlocked.

Hopefully, someone will pop up with links to the appropriate Dell app to remove the limitation. But I wouldn't expect better than 3 or 4x for an older USB drive.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
sizzleweet

Re: Dell DW316 questions

Post by sizzleweet »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:35 pm
The Dell is a rather old drive, and it may have limitations on read speeds. A lot of older drives limit rip speeds for "noise", even if they will ACTUALLY read faster if unlocked.

Hopefully, someone will pop up with links to the appropriate Dell app to remove the limitation. But I wouldn't expect better than 3 or 4x for an older USB drive.
Gotcha, not a big deal really it's just a secondary drive.

TBH my LG drive is actually only reading at like 2.6-3x too... I have no clue if that's normal or what. I'm new to all of this.