Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
asmcom

Re: Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Post by asmcom »

Coopervid wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:54 pm
There was one until a couple of days ago but they are all sold out now. I recommend to contact asmcom unless you want to import from a foreign country.
Thanks Coopervid, hope you are keeping good. We have plenty of drives, just a bit under pressure with two of the team off. Will be glad to see the back of these Verbatims. We are launching our new website soon and hopefully when we achieve this, things will be better. We plan for replies and quotes to be automated from the new website.

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
FractumSeraph

Post by FractumSeraph »

Hello, I'm a complete noob here and I would like to get started with this hobby. I've done some research and it seems like the Verbatim 43888 is a great choice, is this correct?

Is there a specific model I need to buy, or can I just find any random one on Amazon or somewhere? Thanks. I'm from the US.

Looking forward to joining the community!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

FractumSeraph wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am
Hello, I'm a complete noob here and I would like to get started with this hobby. I've done some research and it seems like the Verbatim 43888 is a great choice, is this correct?

Is there a specific model I need to buy, or can I just find any random one on Amazon or somewhere? Thanks. I'm from the US.

Looking forward to joining the community!
The 43888 is not available in the US.
Wrath1290

Post by Wrath1290 »

Hey I am also looking for a UHD Drive recommendation (Slim and 5.25" as I am not yet quite sure which one to get) location is Germany as well.
Victor

Post by Victor »

I live in the UK and would like the same recommendation for a slimliine UHD player. Just wasted my money on a Pioneer drive without libredrive compatibility - returned it and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Added note: I just read that even if I find a friendly UHD player, it still might not work because my processor is non-Intel with SGX. Is this true? To be more specific, does the processor matter if I am merely using the drive to convert discs to mkv and not trying to play them on the PC?
Last edited by Victor on Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gpmc01

Post by gpmc01 »

I got Pioneer BDR-XS07TS Cross-Flashed to BDR-XS07TUHD from Asmcom and I'm more than happy with it and extraordinary Asmcom support (I also purchased lifetime licenses of MakeMKV and Leawo Prof. Media 13 at discounted price).
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Victor wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:17 pm
I live in the UK and would like the same recommendation for a slimliine UHD player. Just wasted my money on a Pioneer drive without libredrive compatibility - returned it and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Added note: I just read that even if I find a friendly UHD player, it still might not work because my processor is non-Intel with SGX. Is this true? To be more specific, does the processor matter if I am merely using the drive to convert discs to mkv and not trying to play them on the PC?
The SGX thing is just for playback. Any processor can be used for ripping.

Check with Asmcom. He is in Ireland and has some Pioneer drives for sale.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
hh3k0

Post by hh3k0 »

Country of residence: Germany.

I am looking for a drive with a 5.25-inch form factor, as I still have an external USB 3.0 enclosure flying around.

Much obliged,

hh3k0
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

hh3k0 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:04 am
Country of residence: Germany.

I am looking for a drive with a 5.25-inch form factor, as I still have an external USB 3.0 enclosure flying around.

Much obliged,

hh3k0
Please check with asmcon. Just send him an email and also mention your forum name.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
agvid8

Post by agvid8 »

I'm looking for recommendations on a reliable drive to burn >800 DVDs and a few blu-ray discs to digitize my collection for a media server. I don't currently own any UHD discs so not sure if I need something UHD friendly or should I just buy one to be "future-proof".

I have a really cheap usb external DVD burner currently with a M1 Macbook Air and it gets constant errors which seems to be it needs an external power source, which it doesn't have.

Thanks in advance.
atp-flo

Post by atp-flo »

asmcom wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:03 pm
We want to inform you about a recent update regarding the Verbatim 43888 drive, and we appreciate your understanding as we prioritise your satisfaction.
Due to reliability concerns, we have decided to place the Verbatim 43888 on clearance and lowered its price. We've observed instances where customers with substantial disc backup needs have encountered reliability issues, especially during heavy use of this model. The Verbatim 43888 comes equipped with a Pioneer BDR-UD04, classified as an entry-level budget drive for Pioneer, typically intended for enterprise use. [...]
I tested the Verbatim 43888 with 10 different UHD BDs and had no problems at all. I bought it for 99€ on Amazon, and it's definitely the best deal you can find in Europe. No need to update the firmware, it comes in a very compact form factor, is affordable, and it's got Pioneer's hardware. It also only requires one USB-C connector and nothing else, which makes it even more convenient. I find the reports of unreliability completely unfounded based on my experience. By the way, it's currently sold out. That's hardly a surprise.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

atp-flo wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:14 pm
I find the reports of unreliability completely unfounded based on my experience.
Consider: 6 people are playing Russian Roulette, and the first 5 people to play tell the 6th person that there's obviously nothing to worry about... :?

I also own a Verbatim 43888, and it hasn't failed yet either. But that's not the point because Asmcom has better statistics than me to work from.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

MrPenguin wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:29 pm
atp-flo wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:14 pm
I find the reports of unreliability completely unfounded based on my experience.
Consider: 6 people are playing Russian Roulette, and the first 5 people to play tell the 6th person that there's obviously nothing to worry about... :?

I also own a Verbatim 43888, and it hasn't failed yet either. But that's not the point because Asmcom has better statistics than me to work from.
Thank you, Mr. Penguin, for your attention to our testing processes. We pride ourselves on thorough evaluations of the drives we sell, ensuring our statistics reflect a commitment to quality. It's disheartening when individuals dismiss our unbiased information, derived from testing hundreds of drives, in favor of singular experiences.

While we recognize the reliability of certain Verbatim drives, our dedication to transparency compels us to offer honest insights to our customers. Upholding integrity remains our priority, even when it involves disclosing challenging details. We trust your high-quality Pioneer Retail drive continues to excel in performance. Tomorrow we will remove the Verbatim 43888 from MakeMKV.

Asmcom

UHD Friendly Drive Team
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
narrativemonk

Post by narrativemonk »

I'm in the US looking for a slim drive - though, ultimately looking for a drive that will last so willing to buy the best all around regardless of form factor.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

narrativemonk wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:53 am
I'm in the US looking for a slim drive - though, ultimately looking for a drive that will last so willing to buy the best all around regardless of form factor.
i have pioneers in the us with old fw but no slim usb ones but you can make any of my 5.25 pioneers usb easy with a vantec
see below
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com