Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Coopervid

Re: Recommendation for best (most reliable and versatile) LibreDrive for 2024?

Post by Coopervid »

Grumble Trousers wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:26 am
May I ask the same question, for the best eternal drive in the United States, with a stipulation though that it's not more than $120 USD? And could somebody also please provide a link to how a complete amateur can set up said drive to read (and play back) 4k UHD Blu Rays?
Check PM
arkkuss

Post by arkkuss »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:52 am
arkkuss wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:21 am
Can I get a recommendation for an external UltraHD drive in the US? If there are no good external/portable drives I will take an internal SATA drive if necessary.

Unfortunately bought a Pioneer BDR-XD08U on recommendation from a friend and it's got the new firmware so it doesn't work for UltraHD discs. I'm going to return it.
i have got 5.25 sata pioneers with old fw if you want one of those
the externals have been gone since august in the usa
Well I don't believe it but I remembered that I had an old machine in a closet with 2 Blu Ray drives in it that I haven't used in years. So I pulled the drives out to check the models and the first says it's an LG WH16NS40. I saw that it's on the Ultimate UHD Drives Guide list so I figured I'd try giving it a shot. I put it back in the machine booted the old thing up, installed Make MKV, and it immediately said Libre Drive was enabled, and the drive was on firmware 1.02.

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

So I popped an UltraHD disc in it and it read it right away. It ripped Star Trek - The Motion Picture - Director's Edition in less than an hour, I had walked away and didn't note the time elapsed when I walked back up to it, I was working on the other drive while it ripped. But I didn't have to flash it or anything, it just worked.

The 2nd drive is an LG UH12NS40. I put it in my newer machine, and it came up and appeared that it would work as well as it said LibreDrive was enabled, but when I put an Ultra HD disc in it couldn't read it. So I found this thread and flashed it with the ASUS BW-D1HT firmware as suggested there.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number: SIK9DGBN8420
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

It ripped Aquaman in 50 minutes. I used SDFtool Flasher and the All You Need Firmware Pack. Couldn't have been easier. So I'm returning the Pioneer drive and getting $142 back, and I have two drives that are working like a charm. Not portable, but I can always buy an enclosure if the need arises.
Grumble Trousers

Post by Grumble Trousers »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:42 am
Grumble Trousers wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:26 am
May I ask the same question, for the best eternal drive in the United States, with a stipulation though that it's not more than $120 USD? And could somebody also please provide a link to how a complete amateur can set up said drive to read (and play back) 4k UHD Blu Rays?
Check PM
Thanks Coopervid! I purchased the one you suggested and it's on its way. Sorry, I can't DM because I just joined these forums, but could you please send me the instructions you mentioned as well?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

I will. PM sent.
atp-flo

Post by atp-flo »

After a few days of research without much prior knowledge I came to the conclusion that you've got to ask you some questions befor you buy a drive.

- Pioneer vs LG and others [quality vs feasibility/availability]
- flash it yourself vs buy it preflashed [cheap vs expensive]
- 5,25" vs slim [robust/bulky vs small/mobile]

When one goes through all of this and you search for the "best most reliable and versatile LibreDrive" you will probably end up here:

- A preflashed Pioneer 5,25" drive for around 170$ from a community member.

Except you live in Europe right now and you can just buy this one for 99€:

Verbatim 43888:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MTP9VKX

- LibreDrive, out-of-the-box without firmware flash
- Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive (top quality and reliability)
- 1x USB-C, no additional ports present or required
- Extremely slim design, visually appealing
- Relatively quiet during operation, loud when inserting

The device reads 4K Blu-rays and everything else you feed it without any complaints completely out-of-the-box. I got it yesterday and it had no problems ripping TopGun:Maverick and other 4K Blu-rays.

I've mounted it on the wall and now use it with my Mini-PC homeserver. MakeMKV is running on it, and I can now comfortably rip my discs without having to boot up my main PC for it. After ~1 hour of ripping they are directly streamable on my TV in my home network thanks to the DLNA server.

For me it was just the best and easiest option. I don't need an internal 5,25"-slot nor an external enclosure nor a power supply - just plug and play and boom. For 99€ it was an absolute steal.

Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

atp-flo wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:22 pm
After a few days of research without much prior knowledge I came to the conclusion that you've got to ask you some questions befor you buy a drive.

- Pioneer vs LG and others [quality vs feasibility/availability]
- flash it yourself vs buy it preflashed [cheap vs expensive]
- 5,25" vs slim [robust/bulky vs small/mobile]

When one goes through all of this and you search for the "best most reliable and versatile LibreDrive" you will probably end up here:

- A preflashed Pioneer 5,25" drive for around 170$ from a community member.

Except you live in Europe right now and you can just buy this one for 99€:

Verbatim 43888:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MTP9VKX

- LibreDrive, out-of-the-box without firmware flash
- Pioneer BDR-UD04 drive (top quality and reliability)
- 1x USB-C, no additional ports present or required
- Extremely slim design, visually appealing
- Relatively quiet during operation, loud when inserting

The device reads 4K Blu-rays and everything else you feed it without any complaints completely out-of-the-box. I got it yesterday and it had no problems ripping TopGun:Maverick and other 4K Blu-rays.

I've mounted it on the wall and now use it with my Mini-PC homeserver. MakeMKV is running on it, and I can now comfortably rip my discs without having to boot up my main PC for it. After ~1 hour of ripping they are directly streamable on my TV in my home network thanks to the DLNA server.

For me it was just the best and easiest option. I don't need an internal 5,25"-slot nor an external enclosure nor a power supply - just plug and play and boom. For 99€ it was an absolute steal.

Nice. I knew it and told you so.
kollomac

Post by kollomac »

Coopervid wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:40 am
kollomac wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:36 am
May I ask the same question? I’m in Germany and look for an external drive.

Thank you!
https://www.amazon.de/Verbatim-Externer ... 07MTP9VKX/
I bought the Verbatim drive for 99€, and can confirm it is really easy to use with makemkv. MakeMKV reports a PIONEER BDR-US04 inside, I just plugged it in and MakeMKV for macOS created my first blue ray backup in LibreDrive mode. No firmware patches or complicated procedures were needed. Surprise :D

Thank you, for the good recommendation, Coopervid!
mr.fuzzypants

Post by mr.fuzzypants »

As with everyone else. Looking for a suggestion.

Thanks!
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

mr.fuzzypants wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:23 am
As with everyone else. Looking for a suggestion.

Thanks!
PM sent.
Simon D

Post by Simon D »

Hi

I am looking for some advise in buying another Pioneer drive as a backup.

I am using original BDR-S12UHT with DX2 enclosure that I purchase from Asmcom, very happy with the drive performance.

I was thinking about a slimline Blu‑ray Writer Pioneer BDR-XS07TS cross flashed with BDR-XS07TUHD firmware to use with my Apple MacBook Pro but was concern about about the lower read speed and the power output from the USB Type-C on a MacBook is lower and that I need to buy a power adapter just in case.

A started to looked at the Pioneer BDR-S12XLT cross flashed with BDR-S12UHT FW 1-03, but missed out on the last one by 5 minutes

I could wait to see if Asmcom get new stock of the Pioneer BDR-S12XLT

Now think about the Pioneer BDR-213EBK crossed flashed with BDR-S13JX (Is this a Japanese model firmware?). I seen that people are using this drive any feedback would help.

Could buy a very cheap Verbatim 43888 Ultra HD 4K External Slimline Blu‑ray Writer which uses PIONEER BD-RW BDR-UD04 and use it with USB power hub for extra power or go back to Pioneer BDR-XS07TS cross flashed with BDR-XS07TUHD.

Thanks

Simon
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Simon D wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:48 pm
Hi

I am using original BDR-S12UHT with DX2 enclosure that I purchase from Asmcom, very happy with the drive performance.

I was thinking about a slimline Blu‑ray Writer Pioneer BDR-XS07TS cross flashed with BDR-XS07TUHD firmware to use with my Apple MacBook Pro but was concern about about the lower read speed and the power output from the USB Type-C on a MacBook is lower and that I need to buy a power adapter just in case.

A started to looked at the Pioneer BDR-S12XLT cross flashed with BDR-S12UHT FW 1-03, but missed out on the last one by 5 minutes

Now think about the Pioneer BDR-213EBK crossed flashed with BDR-S13JX (Is this a Japanese model firmware?). I seen that people are using this drive any feedback would help.

Could buy a very cheap Verbatim 43888 Ultra HD 4K External Slimline Blu‑ray Writer which uses PIONEER BD-RW BDR-UD04 and use it with USB power hub for extra power or go back to Pioneer BDR-XS07TS cross flashed with BDR-XS07TUHD.

Thanks

Simon
You listed almost all options. Asmcom is a very good source. Regarding full size drives there might be options depending on your country of residence. For slim drives you have figured out already.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Folks. I will change the way I handle this.

From today on I will not reply in this thread. Old requests will be handled. Promise.

The reason:
This forum is stupid with it's regulations.

People are complaining and begging for solutions and if you reply with PM or in the thread they just disappear.

So - if you want help: Join the forum, wait the f...ing wait time and contact me by PM.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Simon D wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:48 pm
Hi

Thanks

Simon
Hi Simon,

We have secured another batch of drives with correct firmware from wholesaler. Firmware as been verified. We now have your drive :mrgreen:

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

FaustVonBurg wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:18 pm
Likewise, I am looking to purchase a compatible drive, external, preferably slim. I gave my old system away, which had two drives for UHD ripping in them. I have not been ripping for a few years, and so I am lost as to how to best proceed. I'm in UK.
We have BDR-XD07TS £127.40

The BDR-XD07TS is a much better drive than the 43888 which we also stock with a Carry Case

The 43888 Verbatim is our entry line budget drive and is an enterprise drive which is not sold as a retail pack. We will be putting the BDR-UD04 on clearance soon, so keep a watch on our seller page as we have decided not to stock this model in future, due to reliability which has started to surface.

Asmcom
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
atp-flo

Post by atp-flo »

asmcom wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:21 pm
The BDR-XD07TS is a much better drive than the 43888 which we also stock with a Carry Case
In what way exactly? The 43888 is a Pioneer LibreDrive out of the box which can be bought from Amazon for a whooping 99 bucks with a regular 2-year warranty. I doubt that the BDR-XD07TS acts any different to the 43888. The BDR-XD07TS is just much more expensive and needs to be crossflashed before it works with ripping UHDs. Also it has a design that is unsuitable to mount it to the wall, which is perfectly possible with the 43888.