LG BH16NS55, Pioneer BDR-XD05, Pioneer BDR-207D libredrives?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
TestDriver

LG BH16NS55, Pioneer BDR-XD05, Pioneer BDR-207D libredrives?

Post by TestDriver »

Newbie question:

I intend to backup my DVD + BluRay collections as mkv files using MakeMkv + Handbrake to my NAS.

I currently have following 3 blu ray drives:

1) internal Pioneer BDR-207D(BK) fw v1.60 in USB 3 external case, which MakeMkv shows as maybe not possible as libredrive. Regioncode is set 1 time at region 1, but it could rip an ABC region blu ray disc fast.

2) usb 3 external slimline Pioneer BDR-XD05 which MakeMkv says libredrive enabled. Did MakeMkv flashed it without me knowing? Dvd regions are now free inside MakeMkv! :D
Does this mean there is no regionlock on my drive anymore if i play dvd/blu ray with it?

3) a newly bought LG BH16NS55.AHLU10B fw v1.05. Have to wait for the USB 3 external case to arrive to test with MakeMkv if its libredrive.

Do i need to update some firmware to rip Blu Ray discs on any drive? I don't have any 4K blu rays, so is a firmware flash necessary and where can i find the corresponding firmware? I will only use it for DVD and standard blu ray, no 4K.

Thanks for any help/advice.
MartyMcNuts

Re: LG BH16NS55, Pioneer BDR-XD05, Pioneer BDR-207D libredrives?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TestDriver wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:04 pm
Newbie question:

I intend to backup my DVD + BluRay collections as mkv files using MakeMkv + Handbrake to my NAS.

I currently have following 3 blu ray drives:

1) internal Pioneer BDR-207D(BK) fw v1.60 in USB 3 external case, which MakeMkv shows as maybe not possible as libredrive. Regioncode is set 1 time at region 1, but it could rip an ABC region blu ray disc fast.

2) usb 3 external slimline Pioneer BDR-XD05 which MakeMkv says libredrive enabled. Did MakeMkv flashed it without me knowing? Dvd regions are now free inside MakeMkv! :D
Does this mean there is no regionlock on my drive anymore if i play dvd/blu ray with it?

3) a newly bought LG BH16NS55.AHLU10B fw v1.05. Have to wait for the USB 3 external case to arrive to test with MakeMkv if its libredrive.

Do i need to update some firmware to rip Blu Ray discs on any drive? I don't have any 4K blu rays, so is a firmware flash necessary and where can i find the corresponding firmware? I will only use it for DVD and standard blu ray, no 4K.

Thanks for any help/advice.
1. Leave it be.

2. Region free only when using MakeMKV.

3. It will require flashing to enable libredrive and/or UHD readability.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
TestDriver

Post by TestDriver »

Thanks for your help.

Got the LG BH16NS55 in an external OCW Mercury Pro usb 3 case now. Makemkv says its possible libredrive, so i need to flash the firmware.

How to flash it? Download SDFlasher and it will contain a .bin firmware for the BH16NS55 v1.05?

Get the MK firmware pack zip file from viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113 ??

Can i flash it via the external case or must i really disassemble it again and connect it via SATA directly to a pc?

Tried to rip a bluray and got scsci errors today with the unflashed LG.
TestDriver

Post by TestDriver »

I flashed my LG drive with SDFtool Flasher 1.3.5

viewtopic.php?t=22896

and following firmware from firmware pack viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113

HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BH16NS55-1.05-N000400-212004211049.bin

Turn off/on the LG. Started up Makemkv and the LG drive is now Libredrive enabled! :D

Inserted the previous blu ray disc again, still gave scsi error on initialisation, but when i pressed the big icon in the application it gave me the contents of the disc. I managed to rip the main movie at almost 8x speed in around 20 minutes. :)
TestDriver

Post by TestDriver »

I updated Makemkv with latest version but still get scsi error on the LG if i insert the same blu ray disc

MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 1.05 serialnumber' at offset '23890558976'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 1.05 serialnumber at offset '23890622464'
udf: node fe/efe failed!

This did not affect ripping though, but i wonder why, the disc is good. Another blu ray disc did not show these errors however

My Pioneer BDR-XD05 on another pc did not show these errors with the same blu ray disc that caused scsi errors. A pity no 5.25 Pioneer drives are sold locally here anymore as i had always been looking for Pioneer drives for their reliability and long lasting lifetime. Hope LG won't scratch my discs.

In the forum it is recommended to flash firmware HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin for my LG.
What is so special about this firmware?

I tried to reflash the libredrive enabled LG again with that fw 1.02 with SDFlasher 1.3.5 but now it shows a red cross at Encrypted Firmware (see screenshot). Is it safe to flash?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TestDriver wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:23 am
I updated Makemkv with latest version but still get scsi error on the LG if i insert the same blu ray disc

MakeMKV v1.17.6 win(x64-release) started
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 1.05 serialnumber' at offset '23890558976'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS55 1.05 serialnumber at offset '23890622464'
udf: node fe/efe failed!

This did not affect ripping though, but i wonder why, the disc is good. Another blu ray disc did not show these errors however

My Pioneer BDR-XD05 on another pc did not show these errors with the same blu ray disc that caused scsi errors. A pity no 5.25 Pioneer drives are sold locally here anymore as i had always been looking for Pioneer drives for their reliability and long lasting lifetime. Hope LG won't scratch my discs.

In the forum it is recommended to flash firmware HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin for my LG.
What is so special about this firmware?

I tried to reflash the libredrive enabled LG again with that fw 1.02 with SDFlasher 1.3.5 but now it shows a red cross at Encrypted Firmware (see screenshot). Is it safe to flash?
Yes. That is because the drive no longer has encrypted firmware. NS60 1.02-MK is best for ripping UHD discs. It is faster and removes the sleep bug that effects UHD discs in 'UHD friendly' drives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
TestDriver

Post by TestDriver »

Thanks for your fast answer!
I just flashed it again and it is still working, faster and noisier :-)

Will test with the scsi error blu ray disc again later. Thanks again!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TestDriver wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:20 am
Thanks for your fast answer!
I just flashed it again and it is still working, faster and noisier :-)

Will test with the scsi error blu ray disc again later. Thanks again!
Did you try giving that disc a bit of a clean?

Also you should be aware that not all discs will work in a drive. As silly yit sounds, there's often a drive that just doesn't like a particular disc and has issues reading it but that disc will work perfectly fine in another drive. This is why most of us use multiple drives. That and so we can rip more than one at a time.
TestDriver

Post by TestDriver »

There is nothing wrong with the disc. The LG still gives scsi error on it while its fine with the pioneer BDR-XD05.
It is a protected blu ray disc however, other disc is fine with the LG. I wil try ripping with any of my drives.
Pioneer drives are still the best to get!
Thanks for the clarification/advice.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TestDriver wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:44 pm
There is nothing wrong with the disc. The LG still gives scsi error on it while its fine with the pioneer BDR-XD05.
It is a protected blu ray disc however, other disc is fine with the LG. I wil try ripping with any of my drives.
Pioneer drives are still the best to get!
Thanks for the clarification/advice.
So really, what's the problem? The main thing is that you can get a clean rip from one of your drives. If it works fine in the Pioneer, then rip it and move on.