Ripping issues

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
Legacy

Ripping issues

Post by Legacy »

I've recently have had three issues in ripping, and I would appreciate any input/feedback. All discs are 4K.

1) I have a box set of four movies and when I rip, the video works fine, however I have no audio. I typically modify the copied items in the directory tree by unchecking boxes that are are unnecessary. I did this with two of the four and the result was the same. I ripped a different disk (movie) after those two attempts to verify something didn't become corrupt with this application, and the rip (audio and video) worked. So, I went back to the disc that didn't include sound, and left all boxes in the tree as default. The issue did not resolve.

2) A disk that has languages other than English spoken. Playing it off the disk, the other language is sub-titled. When ripping the disk, I removed all sub-titled languages except English. There is no sub-title with this rip method. I reloaded and left the directory tree alone, and I have the same issue of no English sub-title on foreign language.

3) ripping a movie has a director verbal explanation overlay of all scenes as part of the rip, whereas playing off the disc in a 4K player does not.

Again, any help/assistance is appreciated.

J
dcoke22

Re: Ripping issues

Post by dcoke22 »

The utility MediaInfo can show a lot of details about what's in a .mkv file. It can show you what kinds of audio tracks and subtitle tracks are in a given file.

Often when a video seems to have no audio, the culprit ends up being an incompatibility between the audio format in the .mkv file and the capabilities of the playback software. For instance, by default Windows Media Player can't play DTS audio tracks. There are codec packs on the internet to enable this or you can try something like VLC.
There can also be weird cases where no audio tracks will be in a rip if the 'Preferred Language' setting in MakeMKV's preferences is set to a language and there are no audio tracks for that language on the disc. In my view, it is best to leave Preferred Language set to None.

Lots of movies include an Audio Description track on the disc. It shows up just like any other audio track.