Buffalo External BluRay extremely slow under Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
rogodeter

Buffalo External BluRay extremely slow under Linux

Post by rogodeter »

I bought this external, USB3 BluRay writer and it is extremely slow. Seems to be about 18x slower than the 4+y/o DVD-Rom in my laptop. It's supposed to read DVD at 16x but it doesn't seem close to that. 1 900MB mkv is taking around 40 minutes to pull off the disc, where with the DVD I can do a 5-6GB mkv in 10-15 minutes. The old drive in my laptop is a Lenovo

I've tried to configure the speed (on Ubuntu 15.10, latest MakeMKV, using eject -x 0), but it doesn't seem to have an effect. Is there something I'm missing?

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/opt ... ray-writer

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Buffalo External BluRay extremely slow under Linux

Post by Woodstock »

What does MakeMKV see the drive itself as being? The spec sheet doesn't say who's drive is in the unit.

Some drives need special prodding to unleash their full speed. Pioneer drives, for example, default to minimizing noise, which limits the rip speed unless you disable that feature... which has to be done with a Windows utility. Other drives have "riplock" firmware, that won't allow full speed if you're dealing with a video disk, but work at full speed on a data disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rogodeter

Post by rogodeter »

MakeMKV sees the drive as
BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 8.11
Woodstock wrote:What does MakeMKV see the drive itself as being? The spec sheet doesn't say who's drive is in the unit.

Some drives need special prodding to unleash their full speed. Pioneer drives, for example, default to minimizing noise, which limits the rip speed unless you disable that feature... which has to be done with a Windows utility. Other drives have "riplock" firmware, that won't allow full speed if you're dealing with a video disk, but work at full speed on a data disk.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm not sure if the Windows utility for the Pioneer drive permanently turn off the quiet mode, but this topic has a link to it:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14199
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging