Fedora RPM spec for MakeMKV

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
logic

Fedora RPM spec for MakeMKV

Post by logic »

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone here, but I put together a quick spec for MakeMKV (attached to this post).

Only tested on Fedora 32, and building it requires some experience with building RPMs, but a high level summary:
  • install the rpmdevtools and mock packages
  • add yourself to the "mock" group, log out, log in again
  • download the attached makemkv.spec file, make sure it's named correctly (ie. not makemkv.spec.txt)
  • run "spectool -g makemkv.spec" to download the makemkv bin and oss tarballs
  • as root, copy /etc/mock/fedora-32-x86_64.cfg to /etc/mock/makemkv.cfg and add stanzas for the RPMFusion free and non-free repositories (and their updates repos)
  • as a user in the "mock" group, run "mock -r makemkv --sources=. --spec=makemkv.spec"
  • if that works, copy the resulting .src.rpm from the results directory that it prints out to your current directory
  • as a user in the "mock" group, run "mock -r makemkv --rebuild makemkv*.src.rpm"
  • if *that* works, install the .x86_64.rpm from the results directory and enjoy
Looking at the license terms, it seems redistributing this in the RPMFusion non-free repository is explicitly okay, but just in case, I figured I'd post this here to get feedback first.

Oct 8 2020 - Updated to 1.15.3
Attachments
makemkv.spec.txt
makemkv.spec
(3.49 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Last edited by logic on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djotaku

Re: Fedora RPM spec for MakeMKV

Post by djotaku »

thanks for providing this! I'm running the mock install now to see if it works. I love the work negativo17 does for the community, but unfortunately, his repos clash with rpmfusion so I'd like to be able to build my own MakeMKV so I can stop using his multimedia repo.
djotaku

Re: Fedora RPM spec for MakeMKV

Post by djotaku »

Hey,

I found when I was running my mock build that it failed on not having zlib.h. So that made me think it needed updating. THAT made me think perhaps a forum where you have to rename to file to have .txt is not the best way to do this. Perhaps the best way is github! So here's the repo I made and we can use PRs if people find issues. And also it can more easily be kept up to date. https://github.com/djotaku/Makemkv-Spec-for-Fedora