Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' on V1.14.1

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
bmillham

Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' on V1.14.1

Post by bmillham »

I get this error now when trying to rip a DVD:

Code: Select all

Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' as its path is not set in preferences
Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location '/usr/bin/mmccextr'
If I unselect: Subtitles CC=>Text I can rip.

This is the linux version, so where do I get the ccextractor program?
bmillham

Re: Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' on V1.14.1

Post by bmillham »

My bad, I didn't search first...

But a comment, either there needs to be info about how to install ccextractor on linux, or the option should be disabled by default (or not cause a rip failure) if ccextractor is not installed.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

And a helpful reminder that the Linux subforum is located here:

viewforum.php?f=3

You may get quicker turnaround regarding Linux related issues/questions posting there.
psampat

Post by psampat »

I cloned this repository and followed the compilation instructions and have a /usr/local/bin/ccextractor now for Ubuntu 18.04. Not sure if a package provides this already, a search "apt-cache search ccextractor" did not yield anything. I just had to follow these instructions.
-Pragnesh
meaje

Re: Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' on V1.14.[12]

Post by meaje »

:!: This is still an issue in 1.14.2 - There is no option in the preferences setup window to set a location for ccextractor. I have built the ccextractor from source listed in the github below with no acceptable result. How does one set the path expected in the preferences?

Installed ccextractor into /usr/local/bin/ccextractor
- /usr/bin/install -c ccextractor '/usr/local/bin'

error message received:
Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' as its path is not set in preferences
Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location '/usr/bin/mmccextr'
d00zah

Re: Unable to execute external program 'ccextractor' on V1.14.[12]

Post by d00zah »

meaje wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 am
:!: This is still an issue in 1.14.2 - There is no option in the preferences setup window to set a location for ccextractor. I have built the ccextractor from source listed in the github below with no acceptable result. How does one set the path expected in the preferences?
Check 'Expert Mode' on the General tab & restart MakeMKV. Setting is on the Advanced tab.
justLearning

Post by justLearning »

thanks @psampat

I was able to get ccextractor installed using the url's provided.

my system is a ubuntu 16.04 using makemkv 1.14.2
StratTuner

Post by StratTuner »

the two links don't seem to have ccextractor installation directions... (not that I can make any sense of anyway...)

Is there an easy set of installation instructions for a slow-witted Ubuntu user? Link Please?

NB: I've been searching with Google and Duck and seem to go round in circles.... something installs ccextractor, I just can't find a set of CLI instructions that do that or a .deb file that will do it for me.

Please resist the temptation to belittle those who don't know as much as you do... I've installed this once before, I just don't recall what I did...
JGRatMKV

Post by JGRatMKV »

I am on Ubuntu 18.04 like StratTuner and was unable to find any PPA containing ccextractor for this particular release. (It is coming in the official Ubuntu Universe and is available via PPA's for several older versions: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccextractor )

I was able to build it from the official git source repository without too much trouble: https://github.com/CCExtractor/ccextractor

If you have never used git before, you will need to install it on your system:
sudo apt-get install git

Most of the other dependencies are listed on the official github site for CCExtractor noted above. Here are the actual commands that I ran on my system to install the dependencies:
sudo apt-get install gcc
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev
sudo apt-get install tesseract-ocr
sudo apt-get install libtesseract-dev
sudo apt-get install libleptonica-dev

Note that tesseract-ocr is not mentioned on the github site; but, it satisfies the tesseract-ocr-dev dependency that is listed. I could not install tesseract-ocr-dev on 18.04 via standard apt-get.

Copy everything else you need from github to your machine with the following command:
git clone https://github.com/CCExtractor/ccextractor

Build your copy of ccextractor by running the following commands:
cd ~/ccextractor/linux
./build

Set the path to your newly created ~/ccextractor/linux/ccextractor file using the MakeMKV file system browser as described elsewhere.

Good luck!
plittlefield

Post by plittlefield »

How do I add the path to the compiled program in MakeMKV settings if I am using the command line version?
Michael_S

Post by Michael_S »

@plittlefield - the location of ccextractor is actually stored in a file $HOME/.MakeMKV/settings.conf

So in my case it's

/home/mike/.MakeMKV/settings.conf

and the line in my version of the file is

app_ccextractor = "/home/mike/Documents/workspace/ccextractor/linux/ccextractor"

I would bet that will work for you from the command-line only use of MakeMKV.

(I did the git clone step from JGRatMKV's instructions in the directory "/home/mike/Documents/workspace".) Thanks @JGRatMKV for the directions.
StratTuner

Post by StratTuner »

JGRatMKV wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 pm
I am on Ubuntu 18.04 like StratTuner and was unable to find any PPA containing ccextractor for this particular release. (It is coming in the official Ubuntu Universe and is available via PPA's for several older versions: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ccextractor )

I was able to build it from the official git source repository without too much trouble: https://github.com/CCExtractor/ccextractor

If you have never used git before, you will need to install it on your system:
sudo apt-get install git

Most of the other dependencies are listed on the official github site for CCExtractor noted above. Here are the actual commands that I ran on my system to install the dependencies:
sudo apt-get install gcc

Note that tesseract-ocr is not mentioned on the github site; but, it satisfies the tesseract-ocr-dev dependency that is listed. I could not install tesseract-ocr-dev on 18.04 via standard apt-get.

Copy everything else you need from github to your machine with the following command:

Build your copy of ccextractor by running the following commands:
cd ~/ccextractor/linux
./build

Set the path to your newly created ~/ccextractor/linux/ccextractor file using the MakeMKV file system browser as described elsewhere.

Good luck!
Well... Quite some time has gone by, and I haven't got CCExtractor installed ... (sigh)...
I'd given up for the longest time... hoping that someone would post instructions on how to install this program....somewhere..
I'm back to reading posts that I just can't make any sense out of...

I'm hoping to find instructions that are step wise , as in
1. do this
2. do that
3. do something else

I keep running into instructions that say things like "do this in the LINUX folder".
OK...so I search "where is the LINUX folder", and I get a location.
I attempt to find this folder on my system, and it doesn't exist.....

but I return to your post, and I'll do my own instructions from what I can understand of yours, in real time... as I type this post....

1. install git -- "sudo apt-get install git" -- (that worked...on to next step)

2. paste the following into terminal box, or the Command Line INterface
sudo apt-get install gcc
(OK, did that too. Don't know if any of that worked, but I did each line separately)

3. copy something from somewhere with the following command
(that seemed to work, but I wouldn't know success from failure if I were looking at it, and I am right now.)

4. Build your copy of ccextractor by running the following commands:
cd ~/ccextractor/linux
./build
(that yielded the following which doesn't look good to me...)

"bash: cd: /home/don/ccextractor/linux: No such file or directory"

I'm probably dead in the water here, but I'll keep going with the instructions in case it worked and I just don't know it.

5. Set the path to your newly created ~/ccextractor/linux/ccextractor file using the MakeMKV file system browser as described elsewhere.

I actually do know how to do that in the MakeMKV program, but setting it to
"~/ccextractor/linux/ccextractor"
still yields the message....
"Failed to execute external program 'ccextractor' from location '~/ccextractor/linux/ccextractor'"

This software can be installed and linked into MakeMKV....other people have done it....
I'm just not sure how.
Please help.
Servant

Post by Servant »

I successfully cloned and built CCExtractor on Mint 19.1 using the instructions provided by JGRatMKV (thank you!), but I agree with bmillham that there should be an option to disable this feature.
duaner

Post by duaner »

If anyone doesn't want to bother with closed captions, you could just add this to .MakeMKV/settings.conf:

app_ccextractor = "/usr/bin/yes"
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

duaner wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:47 am
If anyone doesn't want to bother with closed captions, you could just add this to .MakeMKV/settings.conf:

app_ccextractor = "/usr/bin/yes"
ccextractor is only invoked if CC streams are selected. Just don't select them, and there will be no hassle.