Coupla quick questions...

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Wagonfixin

Coupla quick questions...

Post by Wagonfixin »

Mike,

I've tried your MakeMKV application on openSuSE 11.3 - works great - I've even tied it into the KDE desktop device pop-up menu (insert blu-ray, 3 clicks & a cup of coffee later and I have backed-up my feature film !!) -

Justa a coupla quick questions...

1) When I came to the webpage, I stumbled around trying to find the DL link for the Linux flavor - eventually locating it in a "covert link" to this forum - then fiddled around with the latest 1.6.1 tarball - frustrated that I couldn't get it to work, I came back to the forum to try what I though was the "older" 1.6.0 tarball - only to find out that I really needed BOTH the 1.6.1 opensource AND the 1.6.0 closed-binary tarballs before I could get it to go... I understand that the expectation is Linux users can "figure-it-out and sort their way thru tarballs ... I'm probably just old and lazy, but I why not tar these together into a single DL ? And while you're at it, why not just add a proper/direct Linux DL link on that Download page ?

2) Version 1.6.2 is now out, but us Linux folks are still looking at the old 1.6.1 version of the Linux file(s) - How committed are you to maintaining this application on the Linux platform ? Is the Linux OSS/Closed stuff a PITA to maintain ?

3) After getting a little cranky while trying to find and implement the latest/working free beta licence code (that clock business is silly), I tried to find a link to a price/buy my own license code but couldn't find it (I'm also a little "slow" !!) ... I'd think a e-commerce link is one of the most important links on MakeMKV's home page !! What is the link to your e-commerce site ? Do you accept PayPal ?

4) Can I use the same Linux MakeMKV license code when I boot into OSX and run MakeMKV ?

Lastly, great slick piece of software; nice simple interface; flexible MKV output container; captures chapter markers (wish I could edit the titles tho), multi-audio tracks, subtitles etc - it really works well !!! Hope you keep up the good work and continue to grow this essential multimedia package !!

Thanks
skittle

Re: Coupla quick questions...

Post by skittle »

*Separate DL links are there for license reasons mostly i think, also because makemkv_bin can be updated without updating the gui portion.

*So far makemkv has been kept up to date across all platforms, I suppose 1.6.2 will come soon... it always does. Besides most of the code is shared between platforms, save for the few platform specific stuff.

*You can purchase makemkv here, or keep using the beta freeware: http://makemkv.com/buy/ (yes they accept paypal)

*Yes you can use the same license code across different platforms, and although possible the authors dont wish you to use it on separate PC's. Makemkv does not access Internet to register.
Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

Skittle,

Thanks for jumping in to be helpful, I was hoping to get the author/admin to respond. After posting, I found the register/purchase link on the MakeMKV "Help" menu too. The 50.00 price is abit high, but when you consider how much I've paid for these damn DVDs, it seems not so bad...

Mike,

The original questions still stand ... Look forward to your response.

Thanks
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Wagonfixin wrote:Skittle,

Thanks for jumping in to be helpful, I was hoping to get the author/admin to respond. After posting, I found the register/purchase link on the MakeMKV "Help" menu too. The 50.00 price is abit high, but when you consider how much I've paid for these damn DVDs, it seems not so bad...

Mike,

The original questions still stand ... Look forward to your response.

Thanks
You've got accurate response earlier. For variety of reasons Linux version is usually released one or two days later than windows and mac - you were unfortunate to come at wrong time. Two tarballs are for licensing reasons. And yes, you may use the same code with any platform, even on different computers provided that you don't use two copies with the same code at the same time. MakeMKV doesn't have and will never have internet-based activation.
Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

Thanks, I just DL'd the new 1.6.2 for linux and had installed in seconds. I didn't see any "sudo make -f makefile.linux uninstall" option for the previously installed version, so I just installed over the top of the last.

On a similar note, you're 50.00 richer & I'm 50.00 poorer (but I've my own license code now !!).

Thanks again, and best of luck.