Problem while working with BDMV

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
chshtf

Problem while working with BDMV

Post by chshtf »

I'm using MakeMKV (v1.15.1) on my headless Linux server (Ubuntu 19.10), MakeMKV worked perfectly fine in the past couple of years.

However recently (since updated to 1.15.0 I think), every time when I try to work on a BDMV file, it started giving me warnings like of shareware will expire soon... and finally today it returns the error

Code: Select all

MSG:5055,0,0,"Evaluation period has expired, shareware functionality unavailable.","Evaluation period has expired, shareware functionality unavailable."
MSG:5052,516,0,"Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions.","Evaluation period has expired. Please purchase an activation key if you've found this application useful. You may still use all free functionality without any restrictions."
But the weird thing is.. I actually purchased an activation key a while ago since I love this software, and had the key stored on my config file located at ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf

My settings.conf looks like this:

app_Key = "[i]my_key[/i]"
So I thought maybe there might be something wrong with my key.. so I changed to the beta key found on this post https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053, the same error still comes out.

However, when I tried to use MakeMKV on some iso files, it worked perfectly.

Any ideas?
chshtf

Re: Problem while working with BDMV

Post by chshtf »

Some updates:

I've tried the same BDMV file with MakeMKV on my Mac, it worked. Btw, I didn't move the file, so looks like it is not a permission issue.
chshtf

Post by chshtf »

And now it stopped working with iso files, same "evaluation period has expired" error.

Seems makemkvcon is ignoring the settings.config file...

Any thoughts?
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

chshtf wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:58 am

My settings.conf looks like this:

app_Key = "[i]my_key[/i]"
Is that really what the app key entry looks like? The

[i][/i]
should not be there.

This is what mine looks like

app_Key = "my_key"
chshtf

Post by chshtf »

Thanks bmillham. It is not, I put the here trying to format the html, but apparently it doesn't work while they are inside the part of quoting the code.

The settings.conf looks like:

app_Key = "my_key"
Seems makemkvcon is not reading from the settings.conf, I've tried with the beta key as well, still give me the error of key is expired...
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

I'd suggest the you connect a monitor (or you should be able to SSH in with X forwarding turned on) and try makemkv via the gui to verify if it's makemkvcon not reading the file, or another problem.
davedw

Post by davedw »

I have this same problem right now with a purchased key on a linux server. I've had an email out to support for a couple days hoping for a response. I have been using it like this for years.

chshtf, did you find a solution? Would love help solving this. thanks!
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Did you try as I suggested to the OP and connect a monitor or use X Forwarding?

I've never used makemkvcon, but out of curiosity I gave it a try on my Linux Mint server and it works fine with 1.15.1.
davedw

Post by davedw »

thank you so much for your suggestion. I actually was doing that yesterday after reading your previous comment and realized i mis-spelled "app_Key"! i have no idea when or how that changed as I just copy pasted the key string over the beta one, but that was it! All is working now. thanks again!