Simple script for installing MakeMKV

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
chase_c

Simple script for installing MakeMKV

Post by chase_c »

Hi all,

I recently moved over to Linux as a platform and had some issues with getting MakeMKV installed and working properly. Tried snap and apt, but snap had permissions issues and both package installers provided version 1.15.3. This specific version seems to have a bug related to curl and will not download keys for UHD titles, so I needed to go back to 1.15.2.

After finding the instructions for compiling locally, I just decided to throw together a simple script that will download and install any version I so choose. Thought others might like to have a simple installer, so I decided to share. :)

Edit: Beta v0.2 released
  • Users can now use "sudo sh makemkv_install.sh" to install the latest version of MakeMKV.
  • Optionally, users can install an old version by providing the version number as an argument.
  • Fixed issue caused by MakeMKV website reorganization.
  • When installing latest on 1.15.4, it will install the 1.15.3 version of makemkv-oss because of the compilation error in 1.15.4
Cheers,
Chase
Last edited by chase_c on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
robojock

Re: Simple script for installing MakeMKV

Post by robojock »

Hi,

Thanks for the script, i wasn't following instructions properly and ran the script like this "sudo sh makemkv_installer.sh" which was causing errors. And figured out that it is needed to add the version number at the end "sudo sh makemkv_installer.sh 1.15.3" otherwise it will fail. Just posting this here incase someone else does the same mistake as i did.
chase_c

Post by chase_c »

Thanks for trying out the script! This first version of the script is pretty basic and you do have to pass an argument specifying the version you would like installed. In the future I may change that to make it even easier to use.

If you could change anything about it, what would you do?
chase_c

Post by chase_c »

robojock wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:41 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the script, i wasn't following instructions properly and ran the script like this "sudo sh makemkv_installer.sh" which was causing errors. And figured out that it is needed to add the version number at the end "sudo sh makemkv_installer.sh 1.15.3" otherwise it will fail. Just posting this here incase someone else does the same mistake as i did.
The script has been updated to make it a little easier to use. Now you can run it with "sudo sh makemkv_installer.sh" and it will install the latest version of MakeMKV. If you want an old version, you can specify it as an argument like before. :)
robojock

Post by robojock »

Thank you Chase :D new version works great :D
chase_c wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:36 pm
If you could change anything about it, what would you do?
Could you maybe try to add where it accepts the terms with a command when starting the script? For example "sudo sh makemkv_installer.sh -y" <- "-y" yes for i accept the terms? That's all i can think of :)