Gentoo amd64 (x86_64) MakeMKV 1.6.3 All Good First Go

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
splurben

Gentoo amd64 (x86_64) MakeMKV 1.6.3 All Good First Go

Post by splurben »

I just installed MakeMKV linux ? (beta) on Gentoo and succeeded with my first Blu-Ray disk.

Gentoo System: Linux-2.6.37-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_930_@_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.1

Requires root / sudo access.

I'm not positive that aacskeys are needed, but I had them installed beforehand and everything's working.

Code: Select all

emerge -av aacskeys
Download ? source and binaries from http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
Save to a folder in your home directory (I created a new directory: ~/makemkv-build)

Make sure the prerequisites are present, I didn't have to add anything as Gentoo is pre-built for making with gcc. (If you were gonna need anything it would probably be qt4).

Normal linux instructions on download page worked perfectly.

This is good stuff. Thank you MakeMKV!
[/size]
skittle

Re: Gentoo amd64 (x86_64) MakeMKV 1.6.3 All Good First Go

Post by skittle »

Hi, makemkv does not need root access (unless you just meant to install). You are either not part of some group, or you do not have access to some temp folder.

PS: AACS keys are not required by makemkv.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

skittle wrote:Hi, makemkv does not need root access (unless you just meant to install). You are either not part of some group, or you do not have access to some temp folder.
You might need to be a member of "cdrom" group.
splurben

Post by splurben »

Update to 1.6.5 went smoothly.
skittle

Post by skittle »

Hi splurbem can you confirm which group are/were not part of (f any)?
Jugin

Post by Jugin »

Thanks for the links)) have downloaded successfully and now enjoy using)))
Last edited by Jugin on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marla

Post by Marla »

Thanks a lot, installing now....
Marla

Post by Marla »

splurben wrote:I just installed MakeMKV linux ? (beta) on Gentoo and succeeded with my first Blu-Ray disk.

Gentoo System: Linux-2.6.37-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7_CPU_930_@_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.0.1

Requires root / sudo access.

I'm not positive that aacskeys are needed, but I had them installed beforehand and everything's working.

Code: Select all

emerge -av aacskeys
Download ? source and binaries from http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=224
Save to a folder in your home directory (I created a new directory: ~/makemkv-build)

Make sure the prerequisites are present, I didn't have to add anything as Gentoo is pre-built for making with gcc. (If you were gonna need anything it would probably be qt4).

Normal linux instructions on download page worked perfectly.

This is good stuff. Thank you MakeMKV!
[/size]
Thank you very much for the information. I am looking forward to ripping my blue rays to .mkv files to store and watch on my ps3. My only concern here has to do with the audio. Will the .mkv's audio output still be full surround sound, or are there limitations here? I would really hate to lose that, I really love the separation of audio between the center speaker, left, right, and back speakers. I really hope that this isn't an issue with the software, or I might have to rethink my approach here.