Bluray navigation menus

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Leon80

Bluray navigation menus

Post by Leon80 »

Dear MakeMKV team,

it seems to me that at the current state of development MakeMKV isn't able to provide the interactive navigation menus on Bluray discs to players using the streaming server!? The only menu the streaming server provides consist of a plain html site listing the provided streams we could connect to.
Are there plans to also support the interactive navigation menus?

Wouldn't it be possible to provide the decrypted files using a pseudo filesystem mounted at the "normal" mount-point for the desired device taken from /etc/fstab instead of using a streaming server?

Thank you for this great peace of software!

Reagrds,
Leon
mike admin

Re: Bluray navigation menus

Post by mike admin »

Leon80 wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to provide the decrypted files using a pseudo filesystem mounted at the "normal" mount-point for the desired device taken from /etc/fstab instead of using a streaming server?
NFS streaming (sharing decrypted disc as NFS) is planned. By the way, if you want to see this feature, please reply in this thread.
daverichter

Post by daverichter »

reply :-D
Leon80

Post by Leon80 »

mike admin wrote:
Leon80 wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to provide the decrypted files using a pseudo filesystem mounted at the "normal" mount-point for the desired device taken from /etc/fstab instead of using a streaming server?
NFS streaming (sharing decrypted disc as NFS) is planned. By the way, if you want to see this feature, please reply in this thread.
This would be a very useful feature, indeed.

Regards,
Leon
skittle

Post by skittle »

reply. please please make this a feature.

Will something similar come to other platforms?
CybrFyre

Post by CybrFyre »

Would love to see that
z-factor

Post by z-factor »

I think that any user of MythTV or other libbluray-enabled software will be interested in getting some sort of direct access to the decrypted bluray image. That way, one won't need to rip the disk to be able to watch it. I'm interested in this feature.
Having said that - Mike, have you considered using something like fuse (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/) to give access to the image? I don't see the reason to code an NFS server into makemkv - it seems like a lot more effort for not much gain. Just my 2 cents.
Leon80

Post by Leon80 »

z-factor wrote:Mike, have you considered using something like fuse (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/) to give access to the image? I don't see the reason to code an NFS server into makemkv - it seems like a lot more effort for not much gain. Just my 2 cents.
That's what I really meant with "pseudo fs": FUSE.
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

Fuse is also nice in that you can mount and unmount easily as a normal user without privilege escalation. It's hard to imagine I was once without Fuse-based sshfs... :)
julian

Post by julian »

As soon as you will provide any way for direct fool disc access without the need of a full copy to HD I will buy at least two license keys!
Any timeframe when you plan to release this feature?
Kaysauce

Post by Kaysauce »

I'm desperately looking for this kind of solution. I dread not having access to the full quality of my Blu-Rays in a Linux environment and while the quality of MakeMKV is great, it's not an efficient way to play back movies on the fly due to the lack of chapter support and necessary resources that are dedicated to the live transcoding.

I am willing to bet that if MakeMKV in Linux supported disk decryption and full playback, it would definitely be a worthwhile investment for people running Linux-based HTPCs. Perhaps it would also be worthwhile to offer the program without the backup option, just the decrypt/playback functionality for Linux users...
Taravel

Post by Taravel »

+1

I think that if you add these features to MakeMKV I'll pay to have it:

1) The capability to access to Bly-ray menu by means of libbluray.

2) The capability to rip the Blu-ray in a single MKV file (because some blu-rays have the film splitted in a lot of files).

3) The capability to rip Blu-ray in iso format.

The feature of the this topic is very important for Linux and MacOS users that are more interested to pay your program because there aren't other solution to play blu-ray on these platforms.
mrreload

Post by mrreload »

+1
But is there any software players for linux that support menus? Sadly, the last I read on this was 'Not Yet'.
But to use NFS or similiar instead of streaming server would be awesome! Hopefully this would eliminate the need for the bluray via makemkv plugin in XBMC.
kirby

Post by kirby »

+1 :D
Taravel

Post by Taravel »

mrreload wrote:+1
But is there any software players for linux that support menus? Sadly, the last I read on this was 'Not Yet'.
But the possibility of reading bluray with this feature may increase interest in developing a player libbluray compliant.

PS.: This topic should be moved to general discussions...it isn't only for linux.