Bug? Not showing all files (ISO vs iso extension case-sensitive)

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
mmiller7

Bug? Not showing all files (ISO vs iso extension case-sensitive)

Post by mmiller7 »

I think I have found a bug in the Linux/Flathub MakeMKV.

I have a bunch of home movies I used a VCR-DVD deck to quickly dub and then ripped with imgburn (or similar) to a hard drive for backup. Now I want to convert them so I can have a home-movie repository for the family on Plex.

It looks like MakeMKV can't see files named `filename.ISO` which is apparently the default for whatever program I ripped the unencrypted discs with. If I rename a file to `filename.iso` (note uppercase/lowercase) suddenly it shows up with MakeMKV open-dialog and I can select it to convert.

I believe this is an error that it should not be looking for case-sensitive file extensions when you do File > Open in MakeMKV.
Woodstock

Re: Bug? Not showing all files (ISO vs iso extension case-sensitive)

Post by Woodstock »

Not so much a bug, as a limitation of Linux.

If you do a ls of *.ISO, you will get all the file names that end with ISO in uppercase. ls *.iso will get all the file names that end with iso in lowercase.

Share the directory and look at it with Windows, either will find all the files, .ISO or .iso, because the sharing software will return both. And opening "filename.iso" from Linux will usually open either "filename.iso" or "filename.ISO" on the Windows-ised share. But Linux will NOT find the case-sensitive extensions on its own.

I encounter this daily. It's not just you.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:06 am
Not so much a bug, as a limitation of Linux.
You are completely correct in your observation except one thing: It is not a limitation of linux. It is working by design.

If anything, it is a limitation of FAT/NTFS that they are case insensitive. Remember: Unix came long before DOS/Windows. And Unix has always had case sensitive files. Linux was designed to closely mimic Unix, including features like that.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

So the problem not existing on Windows is a limitation of Windows? That makes sense.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Sunoo wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:11 am
So the problem not existing on Windows is a limitation of Windows? That makes sense.
Calling it a limitation probably isn't the best choice of words. It's a difference in how linux and Windows handles filenames. It is not what I would class as a bug as it's working on both OSes as designed.
tomty89

Post by tomty89 »

I have never experienced that myself. I store my images without extension and make symlink (with .ISO) to them in /tmp (tmpfs) when needed though. Not sure if that's relevant.

In my experience most if not all GUI programs / toolkits (GTK, QT...) works in a case-insensitive manner when it comes to this kind of "filtering". I do not recall I was ever "required" to stick to a certain case in any GUI program. (CLI is a whole different story since that's a shell thing.)

Maybe it's a bug in the QT library on your system? (I've been on Arch with no Flatpak whatsover for MakeMKV.)

mmiller7

Post by mmiller7 »

bmillham wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:25 pm
Sunoo wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:11 am
Calling it a limitation probably isn't the best choice of words. It's a difference in how linux and Windows handles filenames. It is not what I would class as a bug as it's working on both OSes as designed.
The OS is working as intended, but the software is not.

The file chooser dialog (at least in every programming language I've used) can specify what file types as a list or regular expression...so it ought to be possible to specify either the various possibilities or case-insensitive.

No other program I've dealt with on Linux has this issue...like I don't have to worry if a photo is JPG or jpg to open it with any photo editor or if my document is DOC or doc to open it in a text editor
mmiller7

Post by mmiller7 »

tomty89 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:17 am
I have never experienced that myself. I store my images without extension and make symlink (with .ISO) to them in /tmp (tmpfs) when needed though. Not sure if that's relevant.

In my experience most if not all GUI programs / toolkits (GTK, QT...) works in a case-insensitive manner when it comes to this kind of "filtering". I do not recall I was ever "required" to stick to a certain case in any GUI program. (CLI is a whole different story since that's a shell thing.)

Maybe it's a bug in the QT library on your system? (I've been on Arch with no Flatpak whatsover for MakeMKV.)
I don't think I have a choice in what QT libraries they build into the flatpak?

Here's what I get:
https://ibb.co/1GyfXPN