Qt5 soon even deader as it is now

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
Vamp898

Qt5 soon even deader as it is now

Post by Vamp898 »

With KDEs mega release switching from Qt5 to Qt6, the KDE Patch collection for Qt5 also most likely will sooner or later die. Not instantly but after most stuff is ported (especially Krita), the interest will cool down in this patch collection and it will ultimately stop. At last in 2025 when Qt drops commercial support for 5.15 as patches in this collection need to be merged upstream first.

Are there any plans for an Qt6 Migration? Qt6 was released in 2020 with its current Version being 6.6 i think its in an at least as stable state as 5.15 was.
flojo

Re: Qt5 soon even deader as it is now

Post by flojo »

I'm not the majority opinion but I didn't mind KDE's migration from 3 to 4 or even 4 to 5. Sadly, 5 dropped a lot of the what made 4 "worth" switching to and the general answer to adding back the functionality was "Do it yourself". That means diving into a sea of .xml files and learning KDE's C++ API, so over this last decade I've pretty much given up hope for better features.

With today's minimalist/easy-dev attitudes, KDE's move to QT 6 is going to render KDE even more impotent, the desktop is heading the way of GNOME... completely featureless.
Vamp898

Re: Qt5 soon even deader as it is now

Post by Vamp898 »

At least the RC2 that is available currently has as many features as the current Qt5 Version of Plasma has. I doubt there will be a big cut in features.

But that is quite off-topic, i only mentioned KDE as they are the only one who are allowed to publish upstream patches.

MakeMKV uses Qt5 and should migrate to Qt6 relatively fast.