Linux version did not download hashed keys after installation

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
fiedough

Linux version did not download hashed keys after installation

Post by fiedough »

Hello - first time poster, first time MakeMKV user. First let me say that I was impressed with how easy it was to get the firmware and software set up.

I did need to use a Windows machine to download the list of hashed keys, though. For some reason, the application never tried to download the latest key file the first time I tried backing up a disc. I think it may have mistakenly believed that it already had the keys, because it never printed a log message saying that it was trying to download the latest HK file. There was a

Code: Select all

_private_data.tar
file in the data directory, but MakeMKV failed to decrypt the disc data, and it generated an AACS archive because it couldn't find a key.

When I tried the same backup on Windows, it worked. The Linux version also started working when I copied the

_private_data.tar
file over from of the Windows installation. The Linux machine was on the same network as the Windows one, and it didn't have any problems with internet connectivity.

Once I knew the disc was recognizable, I tried deleting the

_private_data.tar
file that I had copied over, and after that the Linux version was able to re-download it and decrypt the disc.

I saw someone else post about the same issue a few years ago, but it didn't get much attention and I didn't want to necropost.

Anyways, tl;dr: if you install the Linux version and it can't find a key for any of your blu-rays, try deleting

~/.MakeMKV/_private_data.tar
and retrying.