Install only Makemkvcon?

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
horrormaster

Install only Makemkvcon?

Post by horrormaster »

Is there a way to only build and install makemkvcon and not have to install QT and the GUI MakeMKV?
mike admin

Re: Install only Makemkvcon?

Post by mike admin »

horrormaster wrote:Is there a way to only build and install makemkvcon and not have to install QT and the GUI MakeMKV?
Yes, just disable makemkv target in makefile. You will still need to rebuild libraries, but no QT is required.
kirby

Post by kirby »

I just did this on a new system (the old one is toast) and it worked great. However, I don't know how to apply my license key (I purchased one) using only makemkvcon.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please search this forum - app_Key in ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf
Trespasser

Post by Trespasser »

mike admin wrote:
horrormaster wrote:Is there a way to only build and install makemkvcon and not have to install QT and the GUI MakeMKV?
Yes, just disable makemkv target in makefile. You will still need to rebuild libraries, but no QT is required.
Excuse me for ask, Mike, but where exactly do we disable makemkv target in the makefile? Can you please post the section of the makefile that is to be disabled? Also, are we talking the bin or oss makefile?

I'm wanting to find out so I can write a script that will update MakeMKV whenever a kernel upgrade occurs.

Thanks very much. :) .
Trespasser

Post by Trespasser »

Never mind, Mike. I finally figured it out.

Now to figure out how to remove subtitles while the movie is being ripped.

Thanks.
Trespasser

Post by Trespasser »

I just discovered that if you install the necessary build packages for MakeMKV plus install checkinstall as well the resulting (in my case) deb packages produced will allow you to install MakeMKV to a fresh install of your OS without the build packages (save about 125 mbs of disc space). You will need to install libqt4-dbus and libqt4-xml though (both about 250 kbs in size each) before the gui will open. Also, it appears you don't have to worry about kernel upgrades either. I stepped up to kernel 2.6.32-36, from 2.6.32-35, in lucid as well as kernel 2.6.35-31 and MakeMKV opened up and functioned perfectly.

The command to use during the build process for both the bin and oss folders is...

checkinstall -D make -f makefile.linux install

Hope this info helps someone.

I also run CentOS 6.0 as well. I check and see if the same procedure works for it as well.

Later...
Trespasser

Post by Trespasser »

No such thing as checkinstall in CentOS 6.0 at present, so I saved each individual part of the MakeMKV install process, did a reinstall via CloneZilla, manually moved each part to their respective place, created a launcher in alacarte (Main Menu), clicked it, and MakeMKV opened right up. The sweet thing is I didn't need to install any additional packages, unlike Ubuntu.

All the build packages needed in CentOS 6.0 to build MakeMKV totaled 157 mbs. That's download size not install size. BTW, I already had quite a few of the build packages installed prior to this (to build my nvidia module at a kernel upgrade).

Yeah, MakeMKV installs and works fine in CentOS 6.0.

Later...
kjoyce77

Post by kjoyce77 »

Trespasser,

Out of curiosity what did you change?

I commented out 'out/makemkv' no the 'all' and 'install' target.(oss directory) The install script still tried to install makemkv and failed. However, that really didn't matter because the libraries were installed first. Then installing the bin directory copied makemkvcon into place and everything worked fine.

I don't know if I did this wrong or it is just the way the file is set up.
alxscott

Post by alxscott »

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out how to make a Slackbuild for a MakeMKVcon only package for my unRAID server. I dont suppose you could help me out by sharing which parts of the make file to hash out?

Because its a server setup, and ramfs based, I'm trying to minimise the number of packages required to build and produce the package!

Many Thanks!
Nicias

Post by Nicias »

Can't you just run .configure with --disable-gui?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Nicias wrote:Can't you just run .configure with --disable-gui?
This is the right way, but this option appeared after the OP asked the question.
glizi

Post by glizi »

I found this in the forum:

Yes, on linux, the key is stored in ~/.MakeMKV/settings.conf. Add/replace the line
Code:
app_Key = "[insert key here]"