uninstall makemkv!!!

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
micasper

uninstall makemkv!!!

Post by micasper »

a little help with removing makemkv, the usual commands sudo apt-get remove, sudo rm -r makemkv_v1.6.13_anything, and it returns unable to find file or directory. Starting to feel like yesterday was my first day rather than last Sunday. Any help would be appreciated!!! My command of the commands is a little bit weak!
skittle

Re: uninstall makemkv!!!

Post by skittle »

makemkv is installed as /usr/bin/makemkv
settings are in ~/.MakeMKV/
and remove menu item if you have one.
micasper

Post by micasper »

Hey skittle thanks for your response... I found all these locations my problem is more with the Linux as a newbe my command knowledge is limited and what's got me hung up is every remove command I enter gets me the same result "unable to remove no such file or directory found" leading me to believe I'm not telling the system how to get to makemkv to remove it...

sudo rm -r makemkv??? ...sudo apt-get -purge remove makemkv??? somethings not right in my thinking, right :oops:

Anyway any additional assistance would be greatly appreciated just trying to learn.

Thanks Again
jdbower

Post by jdbower »

Using apt-get is great for packages that are in repositories (sudo apt-get install vim or sudo apt-get remove emacs are both very useful commands). But makemkv isn't in the repositories so it won't work. If makemkv were distributed in the form of a .deb file you could use sudo dpkg --remove makemkv-a.b.c.deb to remove it, but again we're not at that point so we need to remove manually:

# Remove the config files
rm -r ~/.MakeMKV

# Remove the actual program
sudo rm /usr/bin/makemkv
sudo rm /usr/bin/makemkvcon

Obviously be careful here, a misstep with the first command could take out all of your settings and/or documents and a misstep with the second could kill your entire system. The big question to ask is why you want to remove MakeMKV and if it's worth it. It doesn't take up a huge amount of space and it doesn't consume system resources unless you actually run it so until you're more comfortable with Linux the risk may outweigh the reward.
micasper

Post by micasper »

Thank You jdbower from my own home state no less. I already screwed things up once and now in the interest of learning I deemed it more important to learn the correct way and accomplish the task than to except defeat and forever fear that operation. I was bright enough to partition / and /home separate in an effort to protect my computer from my ignorance... Thanks for sharing your knowledge and reinforcing the correctness of my decision to leave the gates family!
" The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"