Rip files to NAS

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
antonybunn

Rip files to NAS

Post by antonybunn »

How do I change the destination folder to a Network folder?

In the windows version it seemed pretty straightforward, in the linux version I can't see any network folders.
Romansh

Re: Rip files to NAS

Post by Romansh »

Well, you'd probably navigate to wherever your setup mounts networks locations. Not something MakeMKV has control over, AFAIK.
antonybunn

Post by antonybunn »

Unless I'm missing something Linux makemkv will only connect to a local folder.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

It will save to a MOUNTED network resource.

In Windows, you can specify a network resource that isn't currently mounted as a drive, and it will (essentially) be mounted behind the scenes for the duration of access. Assumptions will be made as to privileges and such, depending upon the security policy in effect.

Linux wants a bit more explicit instructions on how it should talk to a resource, so mounting it properly is the way to go.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
antonybunn

Post by antonybunn »

The network folder appears to be mounted correctly, I can access it outside of makemkv from my home folder for example.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

And the path you used to access it from the command line didn't work in MakeMKV?

By "access", do you mean read from the path, write files to it, or both?

Does the user MakeMKV is running under have permissions to create directories and files on the NAS? Linux will enforce the strictest access limitations when there are differences between local permissions and the permissions the network resource itself has. The NAS may allow "all access, all users", but, if the resource was mounted by user root with permissions 755, non-root users can read from, but not write to, the resource.
antonybunn

Post by antonybunn »

Thanks for all the help so far guys...I now need to know how to mount my NAS using command line. I have trawled the internet with no luck so far.

I can mount the NAS using the GUI and I am able to read and write successfully but in terminal I can't cd the folders.
antonybunn

Post by antonybunn »

Ok solved it. This was a good lesson in learning how to use command line I guess.

In terminal I entered "mount -t cifs -o user=smbguest //192.***.*.***/share /mnt"
This allowed me to see my shared folder listed after entering the command 'mount'

Then it was a case of going back to the makemkv gui inside filesystem, mnt - all my network shares were listed!!!

I found this out by a lot of chasing my tail! If anyone knows a more efficient way of doing this let me know.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Glad you found the answer...

For what it is worth, SMB networking has always been a pain to use on any non-Windows system, mostly because, well, Microsoft apparently threw it together over a few drunken party weekends, and then expected the rest of the world to understand it. ;)

SOMETIMES the name-to-IP resolution works, and you can use server names in the mount statement. It works more often if the server name is in DNS as a fully-qualified domain name, or listed in /etc/hosts.

You can also auto-remount the shares by putting them in your /etc/fstab file. A Google search for "fstab cifs mount options" nets a lot of help on this.