What about nas release

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
enveryilmaz

What about nas release

Post by enveryilmaz »

Hi,

I guess nas devices are popular devices for movie collectors. 3 most popular ones are synology, qnap and netgear. They all runs customized Linux versions and they all have download managers for torrent/nzb and dlna servers build in. I use synology device for my media download and storage. I prefer BD Images and then remux them to mkv with MakeMKV. Process is painfull because I have to transfer 40gb image to my pc then 20 gb mkv to nas back. If MakeMKV will work on nas itself this will be awesome. I know Linux package can be compiled for these nas devices but like me most of these device owners are not Linux users and they don't have development machine and experience to build for these devices but there's optware package repository for these type of devices and all of them install packages form there. Will you consider to build binaries for those platforms?

Thanks,
Enver
paulster

Re: What about nas release

Post by paulster »

MakeMKV is for ripping DVDs and Blu-rays that you own, not have ripped off from somebody else. So, since most NASes don't have optical drives, you pretty much have to use a PC or Mac in order to get your legitimate content onto the NAs in the first place. So that's why MakeMKV runs there.