How is Linux support determined

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
alpha-1

How is Linux support determined

Post by alpha-1 »

Consumer support that is.

Love the program, and have been enjoying the extended free Linux beta but figured that it deserved my financial support as well and registered it today. $50 is not an insignificant amount for me, but I think the program is worth it. My question is, besides the OS choice at the time of purchase (I always second guess if I made the correct selection in such situations (Linux 64 bit incidentally)) is the OS choice of users being measured by the developers? Perhaps when the program checks in for upgrade checks? I only ask because I greatly appreciate the Linux support and would obviously like to see it justified.
Woodstock

Re: How is Linux support determined

Post by Woodstock »

The license key is usable for multiple machines/operating systems, but you're only supposed to use one machine at a time.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

You aren't purchasing a version of MakeMKV, you are purchasing a license to use MakeMKV.

SC
alpha-1

Post by alpha-1 »

Ah, yeah, good info, thanks.

But what I was asking is if the developers have a method of determining which OS users are using besides the declaration that is made when one purchases a license.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

alpha-1 wrote:Perhaps when the program checks in for upgrade checks? I only ask because I greatly appreciate the Linux support and would obviously like to see it justified.
I still don't get the reason for the question, but this is not a secret - MakeMKV inserts OS name and architecture into user-agent string. So if update check is enabled then our logs get OS type (win/mac/linux) and cpu type (32bit/64 bit). It is the same string that is displayed as a first string in log file or in about box. Other than custom user agent string, no additional information is sent by MakeMKV. Specifically the OS version is not queried or sent.
alpha-1

Post by alpha-1 »

I just wanted to know if there was a way that the developers were able to actually see if their support of a Linux version was resulting in registrations, thereby justifying further development, or if all the registrations just go into a big pot without being divided into OS.
Pajoe

Post by Pajoe »

My registered MakeMKV v1.8.1 linux(x64-release) checks for updates almost every day as I use it a lot. The registration fee is well worth the cost and there is no alternative for linux users. I am grateful there is a linux version, and recommend it to all, including windows users I know.