Download latest version or enter a reg. key using a paid key

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
TechnoSwiss

Download latest version or enter a reg. key using a paid key

Post by TechnoSwiss »

I'm currently running MakeMKV 1.9.1 (x64-release) for Linux. I have a script that auto-rips DVDs for me using the headless version makemkvcon. I'm using a paid key. The last time I ripped a disc was April 17th, then last night April 23rd. when I tried to rip a disc I got the message "This application version is too old. Please download the latest version at / or enter a registration key to continue using the current version."

I've tried turning off automatic version checking to see if that was the issue, since version 1.9.2 is out now. I can rip DVDs from the GUI without any issues.

Searching the forums turned up many threads with this same error, but they all appeared to be resolved by installing the latest beta key (which I see there's a new one that should be good till the end of May) but in my case I'm using a paid key, so I'm assuming that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Download latest version or enter a reg. key using a paid

Post by Woodstock »

Are you sure your registration key is in the correct location? If it is not, MakeMKV will use the beta key, which will give you messages like you are seeing.

If you are not running MakeMKV under the same user ID, your registration number MAY be in the "right place", but under a different login ID. It's stored under your home directory, which will change if you use 'su' to become superuser.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

... thanks Woodstock, I'd looked at that initially but when I went back to check I noticed I'd copied over update.conf instead of settings.conf :oops: ...

<SOLVED>
rjoshe

Post by rjoshe »

Same issue for me...but creating <root>/MakeMKV/settings.conf and adding beta key did not resolve. Please advise...and forgive my ignorance!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The path should be "~/.MakeMKV/setting.conf". The "." in front of MakeMKV is important, and the "~" says "relative to the home directory of the current user".
rjoshe

Post by rjoshe »

Woodstock wrote:The path should be "~/.MakeMKV/setting.conf". The "." in front of MakeMKV is important, and the "~" says "relative to the home directory of the current user".
Thanks, Woodstock. I think I have the file in the right place now...but unfortunately I'm still getting the "version is too old" message. Just to clarify, I'm running v1.9.1 on Ubuntu server (i.e. no GUI). Should I still be able to run v1.9.1 using the beta key (even though beta v1.9.2 is released)?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

To be honest, I don't know - it's been so long since I tried it! I do not know the time limit Mike puts on things before they give you the "too old" message, or if it's triggered by the availability of a newer version.