Linux Beta 1.9.2 on Ubuntu 15.04-Crash with AAC-Stereo audio

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
ImLearnin

Linux Beta 1.9.2 on Ubuntu 15.04-Crash with AAC-Stereo audio

Post by ImLearnin »

Hello
I am a new user of MakeMKV and am having problems with the AAC-Stereo profile. It crashes when attempting to convert any DVD disk. The other profiles work fine. Unfortunately that profile is required when streaming to my Roku box from Mediatomb.
I saw a comment about recompiling ffmpeg and tried it however it made no difference. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I have been a Linux/Unix user for many years and have no problem compiling software however I found the brief instructions a little too brief. Can someone help with a bit more detail? I would be happy to purchase a key if I can get this problem resolved.

PS - Transcoding with avidemux after ripping works but that adds a couple of hours per disk and is a PITA.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Woodstock

Re: Linux Beta 1.9.2 on Ubuntu 15.04-Crash with AAC-Stereo a

Post by Woodstock »

Can't help directly, but... Mike has said that you have to compile with the latest release of ffmpeg, which is NOT the default version that comes with ubuntu. You should check the ffmpeg site to check the version numbers against what you have now. There were a couple of CODECs that are optional.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ImLearnin

Post by ImLearnin »

Woodstock wrote:Can't help directly, but... Mike has said that you have to compile with the latest release of ffmpeg, which is NOT the default version that comes with ubuntu. You should check the ffmpeg site to check the version numbers against what you have now. There were a couple of CODECs that are optional.
Thanks Woodstock. I guess I was not clear enough. I compiled the latest stable (2.6.2) from the ffmeg site. Do I need to go even newer and go with a beta version? I thought the optional codecs were only needed if you needed 24 bit audio so I did not include those. My ubuntu 14.04.1 release did not have one of them avaiable in repo so I was SOL for it anyways without building another package manually.

Another area that confused me is that in the MakeMKV compiling step the author referenced a file in the /tmp directory rather that one in the /usr/bin or sbin directory. Is that what was intended?

Thanks again!
Bill
ImLearnin

Post by ImLearnin »

Ok.... Progress made. I was able to compile ffmpeg and install it system wide using checkinstall. I had to do it this way as I have several users and all of them need access to ffmpeg. Here is the output from ffmpeg:
---------------------
ffmpeg version 2.6.git Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
configuration: --extra-cflags=-I/home/bill/ffmpeg_build/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/bill/ffmpeg_build/lib --extra-libs=-ldl --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-x11grab
libavutil 54. 23.101 / 54. 23.101
libavcodec 56. 38.100 / 56. 38.100
libavformat 56. 32.100 / 56. 32.100
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 16.101 / 5. 16.101
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 1.100 / 1. 1.100
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...
----------------

I verified that libfdk-aac is working and listed as an encoder codec. However MakeMKV still does not see that it is available. The issue I have now is that there is nothing in /tmp/ffmpeg to compile against since everything was installed by checkinstall.

What is the correct compile parameters for a system wide install? Do I just need to recompile makemkv again with the standard ./configure without PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/tmp/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig seeing as there is no /tmp/ffmpeg?

Thanks again,
Bill