Put makemkv in software centers/managers

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
ebinrock

Put makemkv in software centers/managers

Post by ebinrock »

Hi, I'm not a programmer/developer, just a casual user/beginner with Linux. I tried following the directions from your Linux download link, and the code I typed didn't work. I'm not sure if I broke anything in my Linux system, and I'm not sure how to undo what I did. I'm not sure how to, or if I can copy and paste what I type in the Terminal, to show you the errors. Anyway, could you please make a package that can easily be installed in Ubuntu or Linux Mint's software centers/managers so we don't risk making any mistakes when installing makemkv? In other words, put the packages in their repositories? (Wow, I'm starting to get into all this geek talk!) Thanks :D
Woodstock

Re: Put makemkv in software centers/managers

Post by Woodstock »

The problem with your suggestion is that many such systems will not accept software that isn't licensed according to certain rules. MakeMKV is open source, so it doesn't qualify.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

Woodstock wrote:The problem with your suggestion is that many such systems will not accept software that isn't licensed according to certain rules. MakeMKV is open source, so it doesn't qualify.
s/is/is not

The graphical interface is open source, but the main program isn't, so most repositories will not want it.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ooops, shows what I get for typing in a hurry with FireFox... That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Correct, the major portion of MakeMKV is NOT open source, so any distribution that requires "a compatible open source license" will NOT allow it in their main repositories.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging