Unable to get UPnP working with Plex

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Cave Man

Unable to get UPnP working with Plex

Post by Cave Man »

I am unable to get MakeMKV 1.5 to stream to Plex using UPnP. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Set up auto-discover UPnP in Plex
2. Insert Blu-ray disc (Star Trek), open it with Make MKV then start the streaming server
3. Back in Plex, choose the UPnP share; EyeTV and Make MKV both show up
4. Open Make MKV and drill down Star Trek - Disc 1 > Title 2 - 14 chapter(s), 2:06:50 (the main movie), press <ENTER>
5. Two files show up, raw.m2ts and raw.ts, and both are listed as 4.1 gb in size but the movie is 36.8 gb so something is amiss here
6. Click on either one and I get: Error Could not read from input stream
7. Check back on Make MKV application and it says Fatal error occurred, programm will now exit.

Any ideas why this won't work?

TIA.
garyi

Re: Unable to get UPnP working with Plex

Post by garyi »

At a risk of sounding dumb why not simply add where ever you have made the MKV to as a source in PLEX?

Best bet is on the mac goto system prefs and sharing, then advanced and turn on SMB. Back in sharing click on the plus icon to add a share folder and navigate to where you are storing the MKVs.

Back on plex goto videos and add new source then Windows Network, then Workgroup. Then you mac should show up and then finally the folder. Click the folder then OK. You now have a share set there and provided the mac is on you should be able to pull your MKVs out no probs.

Sorry if I misunderstood. But in my experience UPNP is anything but plug 'n' play.
Cave Man

Post by Cave Man »

I don't want to rip the disc to my hard drive, I want to play the movie straight off of the disc using UPnP. I tried with XBMC and it has the same problem.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Seems like a bug in Plex or MakeMKV or both. Thanks for reporting.
nate.o

Post by nate.o »

I tried streaming using a dvd and it works in xbmc as long as you don't try and fast forward or stop the movie. If you do that MakeMKV crashes.

I'm using version 9.04.1 r20677 of XBMC
war59312

Post by war59312 »

I cant even get UPnP to work at all. MakeMKV is not showing up as a device on my xbox nor in windows media player on my vista sp2 32bit machine.

Yet it shows up just fine in UPnP tester: http://www.sharewareplaza.com/universal ... 15725.html