Re. TrueHD / DTS-HD Audio Tracks

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
m2k10

Re. TrueHD / DTS-HD Audio Tracks

Post by m2k10 »

I have recently been informed that the Matroska container (mkv files) does not support HD audio tracks, and instead only uses the embedded compressed audio track.

Does MakeMKV only rip the compressed audio track(s) even when I only select the HD audio track before ripping?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Claudio

Re: Re. TrueHD / DTS-HD Audio Tracks

Post by Claudio »

I too am confused.

Why is the HD track selectable with the compressed version under it if HD audio is not supported under .mkv???

From what I know, if you just select the HD Audio track while making an mkv, the core audio AC3/DTS is played during playback.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

About a year ago MKV did NOT support any HD audio format. Today, it supports both TrueHD and all 3 flavors of DTS-HD, all of them can be processed by MakeMKV.
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

What? really????

So there is no reason to use the .ts or .m2ts container anymore?
The only reason I did was because I thought MKV did not support HD audio but TS and M2TS did.

Is this HD Audio support part of Matroska 2.0?

Thanks mike
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

No, it evolved graduatly. Even more, latest versions of ffmpeg, VLC, mkvtoolnix and eac3to all support these formats in MKV already.
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

So if HD audio is supported, why is it unselected by default?

For example I just popped in 'The Last Emperor' Blu-Ray and get the following (see attached photo)

Would there be any reason for me to select the DTS HD Lossless English track if I'm only outputting stereo through the headphone jack of my MacBook Pro?
From what I understand, the HD track just expands the lossless stereo track to 5.1 surround.

I simply want to know what to select for the best quality stereo track!

thanks mike
Attachments
shot.png
shot.png (30.56 KiB) Viewed 17810 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Channel assignment is the same for core and HD, in your case HD track contains lossless stereo and core track contains DTS stereo. Unless you're playing this audio track via high-end audio receiver with DTS-HD support, select regular DTS core.
litlgi74

Post by litlgi74 »

mike admin wrote:Channel assignment is the same for core and HD, in your case HD track contains lossless stereo and core track contains DTS stereo. Unless you're playing this audio track via high-end audio receiver with DTS-HD support, select regular DTS core.
What if your DVD Player is capable of decoding DTS-HD and exports the signal through is 6 channel analog outputs.... It doesn't seem to be working for me.