Converting for Apple TV with SOFT subtitles

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
thestuntman

Converting for Apple TV with SOFT subtitles

Post by thestuntman »

I've tried Handbrake, of course, to try and get soft subtitles for importing to iTunes and watching on Apple TV. But they never work. I can burn the subtitles in MOST of the time no problem, but if I choose subs and don't burn them in (which should produce soft subs), they won't show up. Sometimes they'll appear in VLC, but not QT/iTunes. I really wish things with subs weren't so flakey. Especially with HandBrake. Is there any other media converter that universally gets soft subs right? For DVDs, Mac DVD Ripper Pro 5 nails it. But for Blu-Rays, nothing rips better than MKV... but then the MKV files are too big to store and useless on Apple TV. And converters always blow the subtitles up. Any suggestions? ... other than MakeMKV exporting to multiple formats instead of just MKV, as is my dream scenario.
Woodstock

Re: Converting for Apple TV with SOFT subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV can't do anything about compatibility with the AppleTV. Soft subtitles is one of its particular weaknesses, and why it fell off my list of choices for a media player.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

When Apple is set on trying their thing, that's what you get. Other media players simply play PGS subs from BD.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I used MKVExtract, DVD SubExtractor, eac3to, avisynth, x264, mp4box and some custom batch/powershell scripts to make mp4s for my iPhone, they should work fine with an apple TV too...

If you can be bothered...

-edit- actually, I'm making an mp4 right now, Eac3to has finished the audio but x264 is still chugging away with the video. I'm going to use it to test how itunes reacts to certain combinations of the disabled flag and alternate groups so I can patch MediaInfo to indicate them properly.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE MP4s FOR AN APPLE PRODUCT, REMEMBER THE ENABLED FLAG AND THE ALTERNATE GROUPS!