Video Scrambled in QuickTime

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jamiemlaw

Video Scrambled in QuickTime

Post by jamiemlaw »

Every DVD I have tried suffers from the same problem in QuickTime: the video is scrambled (see attachment). In VLC it works fine, but ideally I'd like to watch my videos either in QuickTime or Front Row.

I have the Apple MPEG-2 playback component installed, and the latest version of Perian. I've noticed that if I use MKVMerge on the same input file, the output video is fine. One solution was to use MKVMerge to merge the video from the VOB file with the audio, subtitles and chapters from the MakeMKV file.

MKVMerge tells me that the format of the MakeMKV-converted video was V_MPEG2 while that of the original VOB was MPEG-2. Don't know if that means anything.

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.5.2 beta darwin(x86-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/jamie/MakeMKV_log.txt
Optical drive "BD-ROM OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S 2AHH" opened in OS access mode.
Opening files on harddrive at /Volumes/LaCie 500GB/DVDs/South Park 2/201 Not Without My Anus/VIDEO_TS/
Title #0 was added (5 cell(s), 0:23:28)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Users/jamie/Desktop
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
1 titles saved
Attachments
A screen shot from a South Park DVD
A screen shot from a South Park DVD
Scrambled Video.png (908.37 KiB) Viewed 10666 times
mike admin

Re: Video Scrambled in QuickTime

Post by mike admin »

If you take MakeMKV-produced MKV and pass it through MKVMerge, do you have artifacts with produced file?
jamiemlaw

Post by jamiemlaw »

Hi, Mike. Thanks for getting back to me.

That's a good question. Sadly it didn't help. I simply clicked the "Add" button, chose the file, and then immediately re-exported it. No luck: I get the same artefacts. Stepping through both the MakeMKV and the "MakeMKVMerge" files simultaneously shows that they are exactly the same visually.

One thing I notice is that if I step through the movie forwards to a particular frame, then step forward a few frames, and then back by the same amount, so I'm at the frame I was at a minute ago, which parts of it are scrambled may have changed.
Mitsy

Post by Mitsy »

So yeah, it appears that I'm experiencing the same major issues as jamiemlaw here. I have DVD's that don't appear to be opening up in Quicktime -- which doesn't make any sense because they were initially uploaded in a MOV. format. My video doesn't quite look like that, but I'm having some major audio issues. Sometimes the audio comes up, but most of the time, it doesn't. Is there a certain audio driver/codec I'm missing? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you all so much.
Mitsy
jelockwood

Post by jelockwood »

This sounds a lot like the problem I originally reported here http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21949 and here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1208

I cannot however see your example image as it appears to no longer be online.

The problem was that MKV files produced by MakeMKV from a DVD would play ok in for example VLC but would play back with awful problems in QuickTime Player. Perian is required to let QuickTime Player use MKV files. MKV Merge has its own different muxing engine and therefore did not cause this problem.

MakeMKV 1.6.12 has fixed this problem for me as it has a new engine for constructing MKV files. DVD subtitles are also working fine along with audio. If you have QuickTime Player 7 with the QuickTime Pro key, you can also select which audio or subtitle track to hear/view. See the release notes history here http://www.makemkv.com/download/

If you look at my cocoaforge post you can see a couple of example images in that to compare with yours.

Now that MakeMKV is fixed I am planning on re-ripping all my DVDs and changing from plain .vob files (produced by MTR3), to MKV files. I am just waiting for one additional feature enhancement request I made which is to set as default all the vobsub tracks to be disabled for playback (as a selectable preference in MakeMKV). This way in VLC and QuickTime Player the default behaviour will be not to play subtitles but they can be manually turned on.