Not ejecting after rip

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
sfenwick

Not ejecting after rip

Post by sfenwick »

When I use the "Eject Disk" button in the MakeMKV toolbar after a rip, much more often than not the DVD will be unmounted (disappears from the desktop) but the disk will not eject. This is happening with internal and external (Memorex) DVD drives under Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.2. I have to launch Disk Utility and use that to eject it. I notice that if I don't quit MakeMKV first, DU says that the disk is in use by another and and please quit the other app first.

This is otherwise an incredibly great app!
Casey4147

Re: Not ejecting after rip

Post by Casey4147 »

There's a menu bar eject "menulet" that's built into the OS but needs to be enabled manually. Here's a good write-up as to the how: http://mactoids.com/mac-os-x-leopard-menulets/

It's been kicking around in some form or other since about OS 10.2. I find it incredibly handy.

...And yes, I, too, have noticed the "Eject" will unmount but not actually eject the disc. MakeMKV isn't the only app that is affected...
markboris

Post by markboris »

What I do when this happens is open the Activity Monitor application in the Utilities folder and stop the process called "makemkvon". This will remount the disk on the desktop and then you can eject it.
sfenwick

Post by sfenwick »

Oh, super handy! (the menulet). Thanks!

BTW, if it helps to diagnose, whenever I leave an item unripped (usually the "play all" item), Eject from MakeMKV seems to work. When I rip everything, no good.