Back up DVD - Create .mp4 file

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
joeswell

Back up DVD - Create .mp4 file

Post by joeswell »

I want to make a back up of one of my DVD's and convert it to a .mp4 file that I can watch on my Apple TV. Can I do this with MakeMKV? If so are their instructions on how to do this?
Woodstock

Re: Back up DVD - Create .mp4 file

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV cannot make files that AppleTV handles directly, because the MKV file format is not understood by ANY Apple software, without third-party help.

You can convert the DVD or BD into MKV files with MakeMKV, then use a program like handbrake (from handbrake.fr) to compress the MKV files into AppleTV-compatible MP4 files (which you have to use the extension "m4v" to play). handbrake even has several Apple-specific presets available, to deal with what different Apple products can handle.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
joeswell

Post by joeswell »

Thank you very much, Woodstock.

I had been unsuccessfully attempting to use Handbrake to convert the DVD video directly from the disk. I had been been able to do this previously with my DVD's, but it seems that the latest Handbrake update just crashes during the back up process.

The VLC app plays the MakeMKV file I created, but I don't believe the VLC app works on Apple TV.

I hope I understand what to do (Thanks to your kind advice) and with luck, I will be able to view my DVD content on my Apple TV.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

handbrake does not support ripping protected disks, which is what all commercial DVDs are. You have to add 3rd-party hacks to make it work, "most of the time".

The job of handbrake is to encode files. MakeMKV's job is ripping protected disks... They make a very good combination, using their respective strengths.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging