No Disc problem

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
toxlab1

No Disc problem

Post by toxlab1 »

I am using a Mac Mini late 2014, which is running El Capitan 10.11.5 MakeMKV 1.9.10. Make MKV has worked spectacularly for the last many years (registered user) but recently it has been giving me the "no Disc" on about 50% of my Blu-Rays (e.g., Alien, Aliens) after attempting to read the disc for a while. I know this has been reported in the past, but I have not found any solutions that have helped. I am using a Plextor B310U drive, which is a few years old, but worked well until recently. The discs are clean with no obvious physical problems. Any help appreciated! The debug log is below.

Debug log started at Sun May 29 18:21:30 2016 , written by MakeMKV v1.9.10 darwin(x86-release)
Using 524544KB for read cache.
001005:0000 MakeMKV v1.9.10 darwin(x86-release) started
001004:0000 Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /Users/Tweten/MakeMKV_log.txt
002010:0000 Optical drive "BD-ROM PLEXTOR BDDVDR PX-B310U 1.06d" opened in OS access mode.
001003:0020 DEBUG: Code 0 at ~|mJB89iQ(ewI5)ZI#@jo`O09:121263153
DEBUG: Code 0 at R^MGGLWxS)h;m`U5YPcpzp%" :29394160
Woodstock

Re: No Disc problem

Post by Woodstock »

No Disk usually means the operating system can't see one, so the issue is why it doesn't see them. Is it JUST with BDs, or do you also get "No Disk" with DVDs?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
toxlab1

Post by toxlab1 »

so far just BD. is this a problem with el capitan? I guess makemkv cannot be forced to access the disk via direct access mode? Or am I wrong about what direct access mode means? Is it possible that the BD drive is too old?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Doing a search for "el capitan makemkv no disk" on Google, I find only a few suggestions.

One from February of this year that says the Mac app "Duet Display" can interfere with external BD drives. But that interfered with the drive in general, not just when a BD was in it.
cynicx

Post by cynicx »

Have you tried a PRAM and SMC reset? Make sure all USB devices including your BD reader/writer is unplugged during the reset.
toxlab1

Post by toxlab1 »

Tried resetting the pram and smc, no luck. I find that it will no longer rip a bluray disk, captain america winters soldier, that had ripped fine before, along with the aliens series. none now show up as loaded (i.e., no disk). These disks are pristine and so it is unclear why it rips some and not others now. Until less than a year ago makemkv ripped everything i threw at it. Now it seems something has changed and I am getting many failures, primarily no disk.
toxlab1

Post by toxlab1 »

I downloaded the pavtube ripper and the disk mounted immediately. I then started up makemkv (since the disk was now mounted) and successfully ripped the Alien blueray. I don't understand why the same disk won't mount when makemkv runs. Does MakeMKV depend on the system to mount the disk?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV relies upon the operating system telling it there is a disk in the drive, and allowing it access to it.

If the operating system says "no disk", it will block MakeMKV's access to the drive.
toxlab1

Post by toxlab1 »

So far about half the blu-rays (pristine from their containers) fail to mount or I get various errors during the rip. Tried cleaning the disks as recommended by many sites with no change. I agree that this is an OS system problem or drive problem since bytecopy has the same problem (however, I tried a new drive with no change in success so it seems the drive is not the culprit). I never had this problem prior to El Capitan. It is hard to understand what has changed in the last year, other than the operating system. I plan to try these on a windows machine to see if it also has the same problem. If not, then this is likely something going on with the Mac OS system since a new drive did not solve the problem. Finally, can you suggest an external blu-ray drive that you have not experienced these problems (maybe the new drive, a Pioneer, is also not the best choice?). Thanks!
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Over the past few weeks a few members have reported issues after upgrading to the latest El Capitan release. In my opinion it's an isolated issue for the respective members and NOT an across the board conflict between the Mac OS and MakeMKV, as I can report that I'm not personally experiencing any issues. The only difference in my setup versus the others is that my drive (Pioneer) is mounted internally (Hackintosh).
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
toxlab1

Re: No Disc problem -solved

Post by toxlab1 »

I have solved it, apparently the blu-ray drive (an older Plextor) was either on its last legs or was suffering incompatibilities with the latest el capitan. Bought the latest Pioneer external BD drive (BDR-XD05S) and all is well: formerly unmountable BD disks now are mounted rapidly and rip without problems.