Region Code Error

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Egghead3

Region Code Error

Post by Egghead3 »

HI - I'm new here; can someone suggest what I need to do to get past this error?
The DVD shows up and plays on my computer OK.
Thanks!
Andy
----
MakeMKV v1.10.6 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ230AS 1.20d" opened in OS access mode.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ230AS 1.20' at offset '1048576'
Woodstock

Re: Region Code Error

Post by Woodstock »

Generally, MakeMKV can bypass region errors without a problem; I rip out-of-region disks (both DVD and BD) several times per year, the most recent being a UK BD release of Doctor Who and a couple of Japanese DVDs, with no error messages from MakeMKV.

In this case, something in the operating system is enforcing the region lock, which means that MakeMKV is not talking directly to the drive. In Windows, you can fix this by running MakeMKV with administrator privileges; Not being a Mac user, I'm not sure what you do there, but we have several Mac users here.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Egghead3

Post by Egghead3 »

Thanks for that - hopefully a Mac User can help!
BluManGroup

Post by BluManGroup »

If anyone is still having this error, try using a different drive. I have a USB DVD burner and a USB BD-ROM drive. The BD-ROM had this error with a DVD box set, and it wouldn't rip properly in DVDFab, either, giving me tiny VOB files that wouldn't play. I switched to the DVD-R and it ripped fine.
BluManGroup

Post by BluManGroup »

Upgraded to the latest version and now both my drives refuse to work with MakeMKV. I'm absolutely sure this is a software error. There's absolutely no reason both drives should fail, especially since I never changed the region code in the first place. Also started up DVD Player and opened the disc info window. It says drive region is 1 and disc region is 1, so no mismatch as MakeMKV claims. And finally, DVDDecrypter works fine, not finding any mismatch. So basically:

1 - Both drives work with other software.
2 - Disc and drive region codes match while MakeMKV claims they don't.
3 - Neither drive works with MakeMKV.

Logic dictates that the problem is in MakeMKV.