4K UHD Compatibility?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Hardisk

4K UHD Compatibility?

Post by Hardisk »

I'm moving on up to 4K UHD discs! But unfortunately my Samsung External Drive with my Mac won't read the discs even though it kinda says it would recognize them. But I put the Martian UHD disc in and it just spins and never mounts. I see there is a new Pioneer External 4K drive available. Will it work with MakeMKV? Will any others? Any insight would be helpful......:)

Here's the new drive
BDR-XD06J-UHD Pioneer Ultra HD Blu-ray Portable USB 4K Bluray Drive Supports BDXL/BD/DVD/CD

Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: 4K UHD Compatibility?

Post by Woodstock »

The drive will work in MakeMKV, but, as noted in the linked topic above, UHD's encryption has not been broken yet, and there is no program available to rip those disks.

Also, UHD playback on this drive would be limited to the version of PowerDVD included - which I think is for Windows only, and only if your processor is "up to the task".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If you do have a drive that can read BDXL (UHD) discs, MakeMKV would produce an AACS dump for each disc it cannot decrypt (all of them currently). Make sure you do send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .
Heartless_King

Post by Heartless_King »

Ditto! :)
Heartless_King

Post by Heartless_King »

mike admin wrote:
If you do have a drive that can read BDXL (UHD) discs, MakeMKV would produce an AACS dump for each disc it cannot decrypt (all of them currently). Make sure you do send these dumps to svq@makemkv.com .
How do I create the dumps Mike?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You don't have to - MakeMKV v1.12.x will automatically create them for you, if the disk you try reading isn't in the hash key file yet.

In your MakeMKV data directory, you'll find a file with a name that starts with "MKB20" and ends with ".tgz". That's the file to send to svq@makemkv.com ...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging