External Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations - Mac OSX

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
AirBeagle1

External Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations - Mac OSX

Post by AirBeagle1 »

Looks like it's been a few years since this question has been answered based on a quick search of the forums.

Looking for recommendations for a new external Blu-Ray drive for my iMac. My current Blu-Ray reader keeps coming up with errors, which makes me think it's on its way out. Looking for something of decent quality, but I don't see myself ever using a Blu-Ray burner, so really only concerned with ability to read DVDs and Blu-Rays for ripping in MakeMKV and DVDFab. Thanks for your time and assistance!
jbelkin800

Re: External Blu-Ray Drive Recommendations - Mac OSX

Post by jbelkin800 »

I;m using a Panasonic branded Blu Ray by archgon - no issues ... a small percent of discs do not rip correctly but is not a drive issue as the discs play fine.I prefer a tray drive so if the disc is stuck inside, it's much easier to re-plug in USB again and before it starts to read the drive, press the open button ... a slot drive is not as straightforward. I did buy a cheaper off brand at first but the ribbon that powered the tray would rub against the enclosure so after about 45 days, it stopped working as the power/data ribbon got crimped. So I would spend a few more to get a more solid drive.

This is the one I have from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2Gfn0pB