Subtitle process (MakeMKV and Handbrake for Blu-ray)

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
terryeaves

Subtitle process (MakeMKV and Handbrake for Blu-ray)

Post by terryeaves » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

OSX 10.11.6
MakeMKV 1.10.8
HB 1.0.7
Been ripping my blu-rays and not sure about the best process for subtitles. I don't really have have foreign language films so I need subtitles for when someone speaks other than english, sign language, aliens...
1) Will selecting forced subtitles in MKV take care of this?
2) Do you still need to select something under subtitles in HB if #1 above is correct?
3) If #1 is the answer is it ok to just add forced to every rip just in case.

I have seen in some other posts that folks say select all audio tracks for your language (I do this today) and for subtitles and then sort it out in HB.
Not real sure on how to sort it out in HB.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Woodstock

Re: Subtitle process (MakeMKV and Handbrake for Blu-ray)

Post by Woodstock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Asking MakeMKV to find "forced" subtitles is something I do for every rip.

So far, I have only found one disk that has "flagged as forced" subtitles on it, Avatar. Everything else has had the forced subtitles in their own track, and the only reliable way to find that out is to rip everything, then watch it with something like VLC to identify the proper tracks, then make sure the "forced" track is the FIRST track listed when compressing with handbrake.

Sometimes, there isn't a track that only has foreign audio and signs...
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

terryeaves

Post by terryeaves » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks Woodstock.

So, rip with MakeMKV and select all subtitles (English) and then watch with VLC. Then there is some way within VLC to try the various subtitle streams to ID the one I want HB to use.
Think I will need to bone up on VLC.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 pm

VLC's Subtitle menu allows you to select, by number, the subtitle to display. I usually check the title sequence (should be subtitles) and dialog a few minutes after (shouldn't be subtitles).

On anime, that usually covers finding the "forced" track, and that's the one I tell handbrake to include first, followed by whichever track is the "full" track. Lately, Funimation has put track 2 as "forced only" and track 1 as "full", although they sometimes reverse that.

For The Martian, the "forced" track was track #9... I had to re-encode The Martian a couple of times. :roll:
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8