Feature Request: Close Window handling

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
rcork

Feature Request: Close Window handling

Post by rcork »

Currently if you are in the middle of ripping and (on a OSX) you click the close window button, it terminates the application. It would be nice if MakeMKV followed suit with most other Mac applications and closed the window but did not terminate the application. If not, at least pop up a dialog box stating that you are in the middle of a rip and offer to confirm or cancel the close request.
skittle

Re: Feature Request: Close Window handling

Post by skittle »

Why would you click 'close' if you dont want it to close and terminate? isnt that why they invented the 'minimize' button?
rcork

Post by rcork »

On Windows that is true but on OSX, just because a window closes that does not mean you are stopping the application. It just closes the application window. You usually hit command-Q to kill the applications. Since that's normal behavior, i hit the close button by habit, killing the app. I can't be the only Mac user that does this by habit. Am I?

A good example of an app that handles this well is handbrake. You start and encode and you can then close the window and it continues in the background with the encode.

Just a thought. If i'm truly the only one that finds this an issue then there's no need to make it a feature.
iLoop

Post by iLoop »

rcork wrote:Am I?
No, you're not the only. :D
jeffo

Post by jeffo »

I agree with the original request, the program is currently behaving incorrectly in OS X. One of the following should apply:

1) Closing the window leaves the program active and the window can be reactivated by clicking the program icon in the dock.
2) If the program is active, the red close button should have a black dot in the middle. If you click the button you receive a warning that this will close the program and terminate the current operation.
3) Deactivate the close button (least attractive).

The problem is that Mac users are used to closing windows on active programs in the knowledge that the program will keep running, so it's very easy for us to do this without thinking.