Error message

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
audioguy

Error message

Post by audioguy »

I have now tried to rip "Live Die Repeat"multiple times on two separate Macs and with two different kinds of (self powered) drives and all get the same failure. This is the message I get when clicking on the URL (see attached):

"The IPC error happens when operating system (Mac OS X) suddenly "looses" the Blu-ray drive. Most of the time this happens with external USB drives and is caused by inadequate USB power. Please try using a powered USB enclosure (or powered USB hub) and short USB cables."

I have ripped over 300 movies on these powered drives and only this one has given me this error. It DOES look like there may be some kind of unremovable mark or imperfection on the surface, although very tiny!

And what is the appropriate way to extract this error file and submit it for review?
Attachments
Screen dump of error message
Screen dump of error message
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 3.49.07 PM.png (798.5 KiB) Viewed 24509 times
Woodstock

Re: Error message

Post by Woodstock »

If you have debug logging turned on (link in my signature tells you how), every time you start MakeMKV it tells you where it is saving the log.

As for the specific error messages, there are some drives that will stop listening to the operating system when they are retrying a failed read, so there will generate time-out errors. It should NOT be giving you IPC or device-not-configured errors, though, unless MacOS has disconnected.

Internal drives should not "run out of power" like USB-powered drives can. Power-related problems usually manifest when the file being ripped is long enough for the drive to speed up. Unfortunately, MakeMKV does not have a "speed limiter" option.

One thing to try as a test is to have the output written to a "slow" destination, such as a ExFAT-formatted USB flash drive. These devices usually cannot write data faster than about 4x read speed, so they'll keep the drive speed in check. If the rip succeeds to the USB flash drive, then the issue is most likely power related.

If it still fails with the speed limitation... the drive is probably fighting to read part of the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

I opened up an external sata > usb3 hard drive enclosure and sat an ASUS drive on it so I could use the connections but the power supply brick I thought went with this enclosure is not giving it enough power so my drive will randomly disappear with that IPC error.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

So Woodstock I've been working the entire weekend with a new friend trying to track this down. First we suspected the drive, I send him another drive, then i'm thinking dirty disc, he goes and buys a few brand new discs, intermittent errors of various types then the IPC starts.

Your response to the OP is multi tiered. Is this speed, is this read errors, is this power? The only thing static here is the enclosure, the Mac, and the software. Only thing we can try now is AnyDVD for a rip.

I can't ask this guy to go buy two of everything to debug this. I can check with OWC about reports of this behavior. I can go straight to engineering at Apple. ASUS as well. This is the 3rd different person I've helped out who's come up against this in as many months. If this problem is so widespread perhaps it's time to start insisting these drives be used SATA powered only, with Windows. No macOS, no external enclosures.

you tell me what to escalate with who please. Apple would be the easiest. I'll call one of em right now.

" It should NOT be giving you IPC or device-not-configured errors, though, unless MacOS has disconnected."

So it is makemkv, the theory is MacoS has disconnected, would you flesh this out for me a little more so I don't too much like an idiot when I hit these guys up please :)

What should macOS be doing to cover it's ass in this state? What will makemkv do to help with this as well?

You know ASUS isn't going to do shit this is obsolete firmware.

thank you in advance for your reply.
audioguy

Post by audioguy »

It must have been the disc. I finally gave in a bought another used copy and it worked !!
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

audioguy wrote:It must have been the disc. I finally gave in a bought another used copy and it worked !!
So the drive was busy doing multiple reads of a dirty spot on the disc and forgot
to send keep alives to the host, which in turn marked it as no longer connected, causing the rip to fail.

Is that a somewhat accurate summary?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Pretty much - the drive goes into "don't bother me, kid, I'm working here" mode, and the operating system throws a tantrum (error).

Unfortunately, with the acquisition of a newer LG drive for UHD work, I'm starting to see these errors myself. The new drive seems to be so anxious to get the data that it forgets to talk to the operating system. I had thought they were limited to power problems on USB, but the drive firmware can cause it, too.

(and no, I haven't reflashed from the factory)
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Woodstock wrote: (and no, I haven't reflashed from the factory)
Touche’ :wink:
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Woodstock wrote:Pretty much - the drive goes into "don't bother me, kid, I'm working here" mode, and the operating system throws a tantrum (error).

Unfortunately, with the acquisition of a newer LG drive for UHD work, I'm starting to see these errors myself. The new drive seems to be so anxious to get the data that it forgets to talk to the operating system. I had thought they were limited to power problems on USB, but the drive firmware can cause it, too.

So the fix here is for MakeMKV to get involved in making sure the drive checks in with the OS or?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Lovely Rita wrote:
Woodstock wrote: (and no, I haven't reflashed from the factory)
Touche’ :wink:
Abolutely hysterical. Not.
bitaholic

Post by bitaholic »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:02 pm
Pretty much - the drive goes into "don't bother me, kid, I'm working here" mode, and the operating system throws a tantrum (error).

Have you continued to encounter IPC errors with your LG drive since this post in Jul-2018, Woodstock? I recently purchased the OWC Mercury Pro Blu-Ray enclosure (LG WH16NS40 drive, v1.03 firmware) and have been getting a lot of IPC errors during Blu-Ray rips (but not during DVD rips). The drive has its own power supply, so I don't think I'm experiencing power availability issues. I'm finding the IPC errors start at seemingly random offsets on a given disc, and it's coming up during a high percentage of rips (probably >50% of BR discs attempted; n=20 or so), so I don't think it's an issue of disc quality either. Really just seems like the drive and Mac OS X stop talking to each other mid-rip. By the time MakeMKV generates a rip failure error message, checking the status of the drive in Finder reveals that it is no longer mounted by the OS.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should: (i) Try to get OWC to send me a different drive, (ii) Try to modify the drive's firmware, (iii) Contact Apple to to see if this is a hardware issue with the 2018 Mac Mini I'm using, or (iv) Something else?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I've not seen a lot of errors like this in the last few months, in part because I'm no longer ripping "old stuff". When I was ripping things the family had access to, it could happen from time to time.
Voyley

Post by Voyley »

I am experiencing this issue and seems to be something that hasn't been discussed for a while on this thread.

This happens with random discs and isn't an issue at all with others.
I am trying to rip a 4k DVD and it's brand new so no issues with the disc quality. I have a separate slimline drive that has its own power input.

Suspect this is simply down to the OS and the drive losing connection during the rip.

Any advice is very welcome.

Here is a list of the copied notes:

Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2912944128'
Error 'Posix error - Device not configured' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk2' at offset '2912944128'
Error 'Posix error - Device not configured' occurred while reading '/dev/rdisk2' at offset '2912944128'
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.m2ts' at offset '2912944128'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Users/Movies/Ghostbusters- Afterlife/Ghostbusters- Afterlife_t00.mkv
Encountered 17 errors of type 'OS X IPC Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/ipc/
0 titles saved, 1 failed
MKVFactory

Post by MKVFactory »

Same for me. What is even more annoying is that MacOS completely stops recognising the drive from then on. I tried everything imaginable from restarting the Mac to PRAM/NVRAM-Reset. MacOS just starts recognising it randomly, sometimes 30 minutes later sometimes on the next day. I also checked my drive's power demand and my USB-port just needs to provide a fractional part of it (possible) power to the drive, so it can't be a power-supply issue. And yes, this is a BluRay-only problem, never encountered it while ripping a DVD. Is there a way to keep to connection between the OS and the drive constantly up?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Almost always, connection errors are power related. MakeMKV can spin drives pretty fast to try to get the maximum rip speed and sometimes the drive exceeds the available power when powered by USB.

It is less likely, but it could also be a bad USB cable, or port, or hub. Is your drive plugged directly into your computer?