OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
daveywavey70

OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Post by daveywavey70 »

Hi folks,

Just got a MBP for myself after my kids having MBP for a few years. I decided I wanted to start backing up my favorites out of my DVD/BD collection so I purchased the Pioneer BDR-XS06. It is failing using my MBP (2017 w/ 4 thunderbolt ports OSX 10.13.2).

I tried to use the same drive on one of my kids MPB (Mid2014 OSX 10.9.5 with USB3.0) and it works fine and I can even use MakeMKV to rip DVD/BD so I know the drive works.

There are errors I get on my MBP from MKV look like this:

MakeMKV v1.12.0 darwin(x64-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XS06 1.10d" opened in OS access mode.
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading 'BD-RE PIONEER BD-RW BDR-XS06 1.10' at offset '2676736'

I have the power adapter installed so there should be enough power.

Any insight would be appreciated. Is it possible that the driver just doesn't work with newer MBP's?

Thanks,
Dave
Woodstock

Re: OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Post by Woodstock »

At such a low offset into a file, it would be very rare for that error to be speed/power-related in any case.

Is it just a disk or two, or all disks you try when connected to the Mac Book?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
daveywavey70

Post by daveywavey70 »

It has been every disk so far. I've tried 3 DVD and 3 BD (Hidden Figures, SW Force Awakens and Last Samurai) for various years.

I'm thinking it could just be the drive isn't compatible with MBP and OSX 10.13.2. Of course, Apple discussions on BluRay are pretty pathetic which is why I came to this forum figuring there would be better insight and that maybe the MakeMKV logs might help.

Appreciate any insight folks have including if someone has a recommendation for a BD drive that is known to work using a newer MBP that only has the USB-C/Thunderbolt3 connectors running High Sierra.
ikomrad

Post by ikomrad »

I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

ikomrad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:41 am
I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?
Can you post your MakeMKV log?

It has been my experience that errors like this usually happen if the drive disappears from the system during the rip for some reason. Often this is case that the drive tries to use more power than the USB port can provide.
ikomrad

Post by ikomrad »

It turned out to be a loose USB cable on my external dvd drive. As a result it didn’t have enough power.