Blueray drive becomes unknown to system after completion

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
dehildum

Blueray drive becomes unknown to system after completion

Post by dehildum »

I have been using MakeMKV version 1.12.0 to backup and make mkvs of a number of BlueRay disks that I have. If I am present when the operation is complete, I can click OK, then eject the disk and start another one without trouble. However, if I am away from my computer when the operation completes, it seems that sometime later the Blueray drive becomes invisible to the system - showing as unknown in the system report. MakeMKV will still list the drive in the selection menu, but it is impossible to eject the disk, nor is the disk mounted in Finder.

So far, the only way I have found to recover from this situation is to cold boot the system (i.e., shutdown and start), a warm boot (restart) does not cause enumeration of the SATA tree.

System report shows the following in this situation:

Intel ICH10 AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH10 AHCI
Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Physical Interconnect: SATA
Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

Unknown:

Native Command Queuing: No
Detachable Drive: No
Bay Name: Lower

Unknown:

Native Command Queuing: No
Detachable Drive: No
Bay Name: Lower

While MakeMKV shows:

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/rdisk6
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HP
Product: BD Writer bd340i
Revision: RH26
Serial number: 3772512006 216042500578
Highest AACS version: 63

No disc inserted

The log of operations completed before this situation occurred is:

MakeMKV v1.12.0 darwin(x64-release) started
Optical drive "DVD+R-DL HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N PA03d" opened in OS access mode.
Optical drive "BD-RE HP BD Writer bd340i RH26d" opened in OS access mode.
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 00012.mpls was added as title #0
File 00000.mpls was added as title #1
File 00008.mpls was added as title #2
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 92 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00008.m2ts has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00007.m2ts has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00013.m2ts has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00012.m2ts has length of 23 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00006.m2ts has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00004.m2ts was added as title #3
File 00001.m2ts was added as title #4
File 00000.m2ts was added as title #5
Operation successfully completed
Saving 6 titles into directory /Users/hildum/Movies/XXXXXXX Volume 2 Disk 2
Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #6 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #8 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #4 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #6 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #8 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #3 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #3 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #5 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #7 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #9 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #11 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #5 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #7 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #9 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #11 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
6 titles saved
asr101

Re: Blueray drive becomes unknown to system after completion

Post by asr101 »

That happens to me on occasion also. I have become accustomed to quitting and relaunching. It is not limited to Blu Rays it does it also with DVDs.
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

Me too, but slightly different. MakeMKV struggles to eject the movie, but desktop shows disc as mounted.

But the WORST part: the disc keeps seeking after it's completed ripping, light keeps blinking, and when I finally get the disc out, it feels VERY warm. I'm afraid it's damaging my discs.

Can we please fix this? Maybe an "auto-eject on completion" option to avoid overheating the discs. I know optical media isn't impervious to heat damage.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The first step in "fixing this" will have to be figuring out whether it's MakeMKV doing it or not.

I do not know what the Mac equivalent of the Windows Task Manager is, but, when this happens, is MakeMKV showing up in the task display as using CPU time? If it is, does killing that task "release" the disk, and allow MacOS to see the drive again?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
davidahn

Post by davidahn »

Woodstock wrote:The first step in "fixing this" will have to be figuring out whether it's MakeMKV doing it or not.

I do not know what the Mac equivalent of the Windows Task Manager is, but, when this happens, is MakeMKV showing up in the task display as using CPU time? If it is, does killing that task "release" the disk, and allow MacOS to see the drive again?
Good point. It's possible macOS is trying to access the disc. I'll let it happen and use Activity Monitor to see if it's MakeMKV or not. Also I should mention it only seems to happen with the Asus BW-16D1HT 3.00 and not with the other drives I've used.