Bluray drive "disconnects"

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
dlnafreak

Bluray drive "disconnects"

Post by dlnafreak »

This is my first foray into Bluray ripping. Here's the synopsis.

Specs
- LG BD-RE WH10LS30 (connected with external USB case)
- iMac 2009 2.8GHz quad-core (OS 10.6.4)

1) insert '9' Bluray. recognized fine by the OS.
2) start up MakeMKV. recognizes it fine at first. then the drive disappears from the window.
3) it's also then unmounted in the OS as well.
4) restart the drive and same routine.

so i'm never actually able to start ripping. same with other bluray discs as well.
mike admin

Re: Bluray drive "disconnects"

Post by mike admin »

Go to program preferences and make sure that "disable direct access" is checked. Then if it doesn't help try to play with workaround setting per http://www.makemkv.com/osxbd . Please post your results here.
dlnafreak

Post by dlnafreak »

yep, 'disable direct access' was checked with regards to the original issue.

'type 0': as described in original. created an error. attached debug.
'type 1': same, but no error in log.
'type 2': same, but no error in log.

fyi, i am restarting the bluray drive and software between each test, but not the OS.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(497 Bytes) Downloaded 582 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The attached log shows no error. Can you copy files from disc to folder on a hard drive in finder? Do you get any errors in that case?
dlnafreak

Post by dlnafreak »

sorry, i thought i had seen an error, but you're right about the log.

in any case, i just copied over the big m2ts file from the bluray disc to my hard drive with no errors.
tokapaho

Post by tokapaho »

this sound like the same problem as i have: will rip 2 or 3 BR's and then all of a sudden the disc will not show up on the desktop, it will not load at all.
The activity light on my BR reader will indicate media but will fail to continue to read the files. Solution: Power-down the BR reader, and in fact release the e-sata cable from unit to re-start. Works every time, but is annoying.
My reader is a Plextor 320 something in a external case from OWC attached to a mac mini running OSX 10.6.4.
I haven't bothered to complain, but when i saw this post, it was to similar to not leave my experience for further development of the program, witch is awesome BTW.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@tokapaho

Hi!

Your situation sounds like either some system component(s) overheating or a poor connection...

dlnafreak

Post by dlnafreak »

it's not a hardware error for me. i have successfully ripped multiple blu-rays using 'mac blurayripper pro' with no issues whatsoever.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

tokapaho wrote:this sound like the same problem as i have: will rip 2 or 3 BR's and then all of a sudden the disc will not show up on the desktop, it will not load at all.
http://www.makemkv.com/
The API has a bug in it that prevents its usage without workarounds, and for small subset of drives there is no workaround at all. The bug prohibits release of a system resource so in a worst case you'll have to shut down and power on after opening every single Blu-ray disc.
Try playing with workaround type.
ArchonOSX

Post by ArchonOSX »

I bought a PIONEER BD-RW BDR-205 in an external case from OtherWorld Computing.

I have a first generation Mac Pro and it didn't have internal SATA optical drives. I was having the same problem so I found out the older Mac Pros have a hidden internal SATA connector on the motherboard. I removed the BD drive from the external case and installed it internally. No Joy.

I am having this same issue with the drive "disconnecting" and not being able to eject the disk or see it in Disk Utility. It seems to be only when I leave MakeMKV to rip a disk and walk away for an extended period (like overnight). I have unchecked the "put the hard disks to sleep when possible" check box in the energy saver control panel. The computer never went to sleep last night and it still locked up when I attempted to eject the disk from MakeMKV after the rip completed.

The drive works fine for all other applications, so far as I can tell, and it rips disks just fine as long as I eject them immediately after the rip completes.

I will continue to work with it to see if I can re-create the problem or track it down further.

However, since others are having similar problems with different hardware and different set-ups it seems to be the software and its interaction with Mac OSX.

ArchonOSX
ArchonOSX

Post by ArchonOSX »

OK after experimenting some more I am suspecting the hardware / Mac OSX combination NOT MakeMKV.

I just had the problem reoccur without ever starting up MakeMKV.

I had Toast running yesterday burning a BD and today the drive has disconnected.

More experimentation is required.