v1.12.3 attempts to contact hkdatastore.tk

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
CrapShark

v1.12.3 attempts to contact hkdatastore.tk

Post by CrapShark »

I just upgraded to 1.12.3 (making sure to check the sha256 checksum) and attempted to backup a BD. My outbound firewall, Little Snitch, detected that makemkvcon was attempting to contact hkdatastore.tk on port 80. I didn't let it: as a domain hkdatastore.tk looks dodgy as hell and I can't find any information about it from a web search.

makemkv carried on ripping OK, but it did output the "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed" error message that has been the subject of another recent thread. I followed the advice of Mike Admin in that thread and downloaded sdf.bin manually from makemkv.com into my MakeMKV data directory, restarted makemkv and tried the backup again.

No SDF error messages this time, and no attempt to contact hkdatastore.tk. But given that sdf.bin is available on the makemkv website, why would the program be trying to download it from somewhere as downright wierd as hkdatastore.tk? Is this expected behaviour?
st4evr

Re: v1.12.3 attempts to contact hkdatastore.tk

Post by st4evr »

CrapShark wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:05 pm
I didn't let it: as a domain hkdatastore.tk looks dodgy as hell and I can't find any information about it from a web search.
This has been addressed and discussed here in the forums. Including by Mike here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=17861

A "web search" might not yield results, but the forum search function does work.
CrapShark

Post by CrapShark »

I did search the forum for hkdatastore - there were no hits. Doing that search again today throws up two hits, but they're both in this thread. Looking at the thread st4evr references, it doesn't mention hkdatastore or sdf.bin but instead talks about a new v1.12.3 capability to automatically download hashed keys. Was I really supposed to guess that the "hk" in hkdatastore.tk stood for "hashed keys" and then do a search for that?

Since I manually downloaded sdf.bin, I haven't seen the Little Snitch hkdatastore.tk popup or the debug message that "automatic sdf downloading is disabled or failed"... until today, when both appeared again. It may well be that sdf.bin does contain these hashed keys, but if so, why is MakeMKV trying to download it from this extremely dodgy-looking domain hkdatastore.tk rather than from makemkv.com? The file is available as http://www.makemkv.com/svq/sdf.bin
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »