BluRay-->MakeMKV-->PLEX/Nine

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
jellegard

BluRay-->MakeMKV-->PLEX/Nine

Post by jellegard »

hello all-

i have ripped all my SD DVDs and now want to start ripping my BluRays. i have successfully ripped a few BluRays with MakeMKV. i want to use the rips in PLEX/Nine. the BluRays rip to 3 folders:

BDMV
CERTIFICATE
MAKEMKV

is there a way i can combine/convert these folders and files to something that PLEX will recognize? i want a 1 to 1 full rip of the BluRay so i don't just want to take out the largest file and go on with life. is there a way to do this? if so can someone please advise? if i need to purchase another program to do this i am more than willing. my biggest priority is maintaining a full lossless, 1 to 1 copy of the BluRay. thanks for any help any one here can provide me!
skittle

Re: BluRay-->MakeMKV-->PLEX/Nine

Post by skittle »

Yes, you can easily make a 1:1 copy, however plex, and not much else will be able to read it like a normal player would (yet). Specifically you will not get a nice menu and you will have to navigate directly to the file. This project will make that possible in the future. http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

You may want to keep a full 1:1 copy for archiving purposes, and in addition select the main title in makemkv for playback.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

im not opposed to doing a full COPY of the BluRay and using just the main title for PLEX until hopefully it is able to read the full copy of the BluRay at some point in the future. actually, now that i think of it i kind of like the idea and am surprised i never thought of it. so now, i guess, the question is - if i use MakeMKV to make a full COPY of the BluRay am i able to use one of the files created during this process this copy in PLEX? if so, what file would i be looking for?

if this is workable it seems to be a great workaround/alternative until PLEX can read the full copy of the BluRay or until someone creates a program that can convert the BluRay copy into a format that PLEX can read.....thanks for the help!
skittle

Post by skittle »

It varies from disc to disc, lost of times just the main title is split among several files and it is joined by a playlist that the player reads. I realize that its a pain in the *** but its easier to let makemkv create a seperate mkv from the disc for the main title. You can even compress the video a bit with x264 (directly or with a gui like handbrake) first so it wont take up so much space.

But check for a .m2ts file, this is the movie file.